cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try the File locking Dropbox feature.

Try the File locking Dropbox feature.

Trinity2019
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can you explain the the File Locking system through the early access program so we won't have conflicting versions? We would like to know how this feature works and if it is right for us.

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining Community @Trinity2019

I am so excited to talk about the "File locking" Early Access Business feature! :grinning:

You can now lock a file that is contained in a shared folder. This way you can prevent people from editing the file, even if you have given them edit rights on the folder.

Locked files have a lock icon on them but can be viewed by all collaborators of the folder.

Only the one that locked the file or the admin signed in as the user, will be able to edit this file until it is unlocked. 

I think this is going to be very useful. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining Community @Trinity2019

I am so excited to talk about the "File locking" Early Access Business feature! :grinning:

You can now lock a file that is contained in a shared folder. This way you can prevent people from editing the file, even if you have given them edit rights on the folder.

Locked files have a lock icon on them but can be viewed by all collaborators of the folder.

Only the one that locked the file or the admin signed in as the user, will be able to edit this file until it is unlocked. 

I think this is going to be very useful. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Brian B.39
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Is this file locking mechanism automatic or do we have to right click and lock/unlock the file?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It's a manual process.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

How to lock or unlock a Dropbox file:wink:

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

s_l_h
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Fiona, you mention 'early access' - is this just limited to some business accounts currently? If so, when will it be released to all accounts?

Thank you

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@s_l_h wrote:

Hi Fiona, you mention 'early access' - is this just limited to some business accounts currently?

Team Admins can enable the feature on the Early Access page within Settings in their Admin console.

s_l_h
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you!

JT-EE
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm an admin on my company's business account, and I don't see 'File Locking' listed under the 'Early Access' options.  When and how can I enable File Locking?

Thanks!

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @JT-EE. Thanks for reporting. 

I emailed you to look into this for you. 

Get back to me there and I will be able to see what is going on with your Early releases. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Harald H.4 Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Tristan_ New member | Level 2
    telok Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?