cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Virus Detection on Client PC

Virus Detection on Client PC

NataliDex
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 

I have a small problem that  I can't find the answer to, I have a business where I need to send clients Dropbox links to download their files ( Video files)

in the last 2 days, I have 2 people coming and telling me that when they try to download from the Dropbox link it triggers their Windows defender, I run a virus scan, also uploaded it to VirusTotal, checked all files on my PC also and everything is clean, the only file in the Dropbox is Video files file and Image with instructions for use.

I do have links in that folder also that lead to my website can that trigger the false positive detection?

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/633af1bc2bdcecb5d4245e9f66b6c453cb9bff1f321669a06ad19eedf884f4f3...

Does anyone know why would Windows saying that it contains Trojan or Virus and when I run all scans and all files are clean it still triggers on another person's PC

db.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @NataliDex, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that this looks more like a Windows issue, rather than a Dropbox one. 

You could try having your clients try another browser, but if this persists, you'll need to reach out to Microsoft for further assistance. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @NataliDex, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Is the image the only prompt they get about a potential virus, and nothing from the Dropbox site? What about if the user extracts the zip file and then scans the files inside it?

Since Dropbox doesn't filter out viruses if you're accidentally sharing them, it would be up to you to determine if a certain file contains a virus or a false positive.

Keep me updated with any details.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NataliDex
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

They only got the message, person didn't want to unzip file they deleted it in fear of Virus/Trojan

Dropbox link I share is an instant download, meaning when they click it starts auto download ( I add 1 instead of 0 at the end been doingthis for years )

I run the VirusTotal right away on that file and I posted and share it with the client to make him sure that nothing is in there that might harm PC 

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/633af1bc2bdcecb5d4245e9f66b6c453cb9bff1f321669a06ad19eedf884f4f3...

But today I got another client saying that their Windows defender triggered a virus, when they tried to download from Dropbox and I run Virustotal again and it was clean.

I also scanned my PC with Malwarebyte, and with Deep virus scan and nothing came up, it's just worried me why it would trigger when they insta downloaded so i asked some ppl to check it out and no one had any issues with download, so not sure why it triggeres Virus security.

Just to say this is happening only when it's instant download, when person opens link to Dropbox and then download they don't get any warnings. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @NataliDex, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that this looks more like a Windows issue, rather than a Dropbox one. 

You could try having your clients try another browser, but if this persists, you'll need to reach out to Microsoft for further assistance. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?