cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to stop dropbox disallow people from requesting to join our team?

Way to stop dropbox disallow people from requesting to join our team?

kaitling2structures
Helpful | Level 5

Is there a way to not give people the option to join our team?

Every time I send a file to someone outside of my dropbox team (which is almost daily) they must get some kind of additional email telling them they can request to join our team, because I usually get a follow up email with random people who got the file asking to be part of my company's team. Is there a way to stop this? Or lock our team from outsiders? 

19 Replies 19

GigAcker
New member | Level 2

Yes this is becoming a major turn-off. Especially as Dropbox is raising prices. Let me guess, supply chain. 8 ))

aaronawernick
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same problem. Please fix this.

graphic_lad
Helpful | Level 5

I agree with others that this is a problem. While infrequent for us, it causes confusion on both ends, the user and ours. It would be preferred if the email would explain why it was sent so our clients could decide how they want to proceed, rather than automatically ask to join our team at the annual user cost per year.

gsmatt
New member | Level 2

We are using Dropbox to store patient data now that they offer a BAA and HIPAA compliant features. This is a huge turnoff. If someone with admin privileges makes a mistake and clicks a link in an email we suddenly have a breach and are notifying every patient and the FDA.

I'm not sure we can continue using Dropbox when they are prompting every single user we share a link with to join our team. It only takes one slip up and we have a massive breach. We need to have the ability to turn this off so we aren't getting requests every day.

joshmassingill
New member | Level 2

This must be fixed. It is maddening. Every time (it seems) we share files with other people I get these requests to join our team. If I were to accidentally approve one of these requests I would inadvertently grant access to our highly sensitive files to outsiders. I should NEVER be asked to let someone join our team just because we shared a file link with someone. That is crazy and it is by far the most annoying feature of Dropbox. Please fix this!

corbeyluvULS
Explorer | Level 4

Why is this still not fixed Dropbox? You've had a year and this is MOST DEFINITELY a security concern. I've been a huge supporter of this over other cloud storage systems for years, but now I'm thinking of moving our company from this because of this issue. 

Request to join team should ONLY be available from the account owner/team side Admin role. Never from the client (outsiders given access to share individual folders with). That's it. 

Unacceptable.

corbeyluvULS
Explorer | Level 4

Found a solution (I think) to issue on other thread, testing now:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Security-and-Permissions/Dropbox-promoting-team-membership-to-random...

Nick46
Dropbox Engineer

Hello!

The "Coworkers can ask to join your team" setting under Admin Console > Settings > Membership can be used to disallow people from requesting to join your team. If that setting is turned off, your team will no longer be presented as an option to request to join to any users outside of your team, so you will no longer get any requests to join your team.

nunjabizness
New member | Level 2

No, this still does not fix the issue. Maddening

CJ17
Dropbox Staff

Hi @nunjabizness , with the setting mentioned above being off, you shouldn't see any new request to join your team. And you should be able to deny any existing request. If this is not working as expected, can you please describe the behavior you are seeing?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CJ17 Dropbox Staff
    nunjabizness New member | Level 2
    Nick46 Dropbox Engineer
    corbeyluvULS Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?