cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't store files online on MacOS Catalina

Can't store files online on MacOS Catalina

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

A co-worker of mine works on MacOSX Catalina.

His DropBox is up-to-date, v162.4.5419, same as mine on my Windows 10 PC.

He gets the DropBox options from the right click menu, but not the "Store online" one.

Where can this problem come from?

Thanks

15 Replies 15

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @t4ngml, one last thing: can the user send a new screenshot (preferably in English) that shows what they see on their end, when they right click on a file/folder within their Dropbox folder? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan 

screenshot-jer-tw.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @t4ngml, I appreciate the screenshot! 

One more thing, please. Can the user check the app's preferences, under the General tab to see if there's an option there, to enable the feature? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

@Megannope, nothing at all.

unnamed.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @t4ngml.

It seems that in this case, the best thing for this user to do, is to open a ticket with our support team directly from their account/

That way, the team can access account specific info that will help them troubleshoot this further.

Once they do so, you or they can reply back to us here, with the ticket number, so we can look it up in our system.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

RobertCatron
Explorer | Level 3

The "Store online" option in Dropbox's right-click menu allows users to save disk space on their local machine by removing files and folders from their computer and storing them solely in the cloud. However, it seems that your co-worker is not seeing this option on their macOS Catalina system. There are a few potential reasons for this issue:

1. Different Dropbox account type: The "Store online" option is only available for Dropbox Plus, Family, and Professional users. If your co-worker has a Dropbox Basic (free) account, they may not see this option. Please ensure that your co-worker's Dropbox account type is eligible for this feature.

2. Selective Sync settings: It's possible that your co-worker has not enabled selective sync or has excluded certain folders from syncing to their local machine. The "Store online" option is not available for folders that are already set to be excluded from syncing. They can check their selective sync settings by clicking on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar, selecting the gear icon, and then choosing "Preferences." In the "Sync" tab, they can review and adjust their selective sync settings.

3. Outdated Dropbox client: Although you mentioned that both you and your co-worker have the same version of Dropbox, it's still worth checking if your co-worker's Dropbox client is running the latest version. Sometimes, certain features or options might not appear if the client is outdated. They can try updating their Dropbox client to the latest version available from the Dropbox website or through the app's built-in update mechanism.

Need more support?