cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the dropbox account

Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the dropbox account

Thommas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hej,

I have  a problem. The email account I used when creating my dropbox account isn't valid anymore. I do remember my password. When I try to log in (as described in the upport section), Dropbox says it sends a code to my invalid emailaddress. Is there a way around this? 

I can access my account on my phone. Can I change the email address on the phone?

Best regards

Thommas

20 Replies 20

pkonye
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Megan, this is patently absurd. I have the same issue and can't change my email address because the code I need to retrieve will be sent to a non-existent address. I now can't set up Dropbox on my new laptop. I have 8 years' worth of illustration work that I can't access. This is my livelihood, and you tell me there is no workaround. People change emails all the time. 

I will be left with no choice but to migrate all my 305GB worth of work over to Google Drive if this is not resolved.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @pkonye, sorry to hear this caused you trouble.

The 6 digit security code is used when you access the Dropbox account from a different location for security purposes.

Without access to the email address itself, it wouldn't be possible to read this code. Is it not possible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rezzak
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can change my email address on my Dropbox account without being able to log into that email address? 

Thank you!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rezzak wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can change my email address on my Dropbox account without being able to log into that email address? 

Thank you!

Unless the email address had already been confirmed then it isn't possible. You will need to set up a new account instead. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rezzak
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

What do you mean already been confirmed? I believe I originally had it confirmed, it's just been many years that now I don't have access to it, but have been using the dropbox account since.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rezzak, do you have access to the Dropbox account itself and know your password?

If you do and you've previously verified your email address, you should be able to change the email from this page.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rezzak
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,  

I currently have access to the dropbox account. When I click to change my email it says, "For your security, Dropbox requires you to set a password to change your email." And that an email would be sent to the current email address on file. The problem is, I unfortunately don't have access to that email anymore as I used it awhile ago back in university.

Rezzak
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

To be honest, if it's a hassle or cannot be done, then I will make a new account. The current one has 2.3 GB of storage vs making a new one which would be 2 GB. Not a big difference.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rezzak, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that this would be the best move here, since you don't have access to the email address that's connected to the original account and no way to regain access too.

Just make sure to download all of your files from the account first. 

Let us know if you need anything else. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

HubbaHubba
New member | Level 2

In settings it reads that my email is "unverified" which is wrong but I cannot fix it, the software will not allow this.  It is impossible to contact anyone in Dropbox to fix this.  I submitted a Technical Help thing but no response.  Dropbox has horrible tech support, no way to speak to anyone to resolve this.  Somehow Dropbox left out a period in my email and there is no way that I can fix this or contact anyone at Dropbox to fix this. I have wasted hours clicking here and there to try to contact someone to fix my email which used to be correct but now Dropbox somehow messed it up.  Sorry sorry tech support.  Name is Ted M., correct email is [removed] but Dropbox has [removed].  Just hopeless people.

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    HubbaHubba New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rezzak Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?