cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox icon pull down button "Launch Dropbox Website" does not function

Dropbox icon pull down button "Launch Dropbox Website" does not function

StealthSeeker1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have installed Dropbox an Ubuntu 22.04 and for the most part it functions as needed.  However, if I click on the Dropbox icon in the icon bar, Dropbox displays a pull down that included the option titled "Launch Dropbox Website" and when I select this option it does open a browser window but fails to open a valid web site.

I have searched for a way to change the "Launch Dropbox Website" button to a valid parameter but I have had no luck in finding a way to modify it.

Have you got any suggestion on how to fix this function/functionality of the Dropbox icon?  I am assuming that it the button worked correctly I would be brought directly to a Dropbox website in which I was already logged in.  Preventing the extra steps of having to connect to the Dropbox web site and log in.  At the very least it should be able to bring up the Dropbox web site in a browser all primed for me to log in.  But it doesn't even do that.  It opens a web site and tells me it couldn't access the intended destination.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

StealthSeeker1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Sounds like a problem for DB developers to be solving.

Fortunately, file transfers still function.

Thanks for the info.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @StealthSeeker1,

The issue comes from the fact that Dropbox application is saving information about final destination in a file that appears in temporary folder. That practice, in spite popular in the past, is considered insecure and currently is unsupported by many browsers. That's why you cannot open anything using Dropbox popup menu (either on your icon or in files context menu). You may try some old browser version, supporting temporary folder access, as a workaround and let's hope this deprecated practice will be corrected by Dropbox.

Good luck.

StealthSeeker1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Sounds like a problem for DB developers to be solving.

Fortunately, file transfers still function.

Thanks for the info.
Need more support?