cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn the sound off on notifications?

How can I turn the sound off on notifications?

ezrasdovid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I silence the sound for syncing notifications?

52 Replies 52

Joseph H.20
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'd like to know how to do this in Linux, if anyone knows how. I would also encourage the Dropbox team to revisit the decision that these notifications should, as a default setting, be noisy. 

Kate L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Oh here I am, a year later and with 2016 programs.....I can get to Dropbox settings fine, but there is NO System link to click. And yes, the BONG is really irritating. Any ideas where I'd find System?

Yvonne C.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Kate, if you are running Windows 10 (even after the current update that came out), the instructions I posted earlier in this thread should still apply.  You will not find those settings in the Dropbox settings, but rather in your computer's settings. 

For those not familiar with the Action Centre, you can also get there by following Michael S.'s instructions above through the Start Menu (Windows icon). Then scroll down until you find Dropbox, and click on the word "dropbox" to access the sliders and choose which notifications (sounds and/or banners) you want on or off.

Joe S.43
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yvonne C. method worked. "Settings" was indeed what the option was called on my Windows 10 machine. TYpe "settings" in window search box and it will bring up an option that says "Settings: Trusted Windows App store". Then click "System" > "Notification & actions". Then click "Dropbox" and change the setting for "Play sound when notification arrives" to "off".

Samantha P.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I did all this a few months back. Now, the annoying notification is back. And, Dropbox isn't listed in the settings/notifications. The only items listed are outlook, photos (not dropbox) and a few others such as calendar.... any updates on how to fix this? Thank you! 

Shelley B.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've been having the same issue as Samantha for months! I've turned the DB sound notification off dozens of times, and all of a sudden that incredibly irritating sound starts again, and I have do redo, redo, redo! Another Windows 10 issue?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

I suspect your only option is to turn off the "notification".

Shelley B.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks, Rick. But as described above, I've turned off the DB notification in settings any number of times. It turns itself back on.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

could it be an OS notice from    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay

? Dropbox   "Preferences" Import Tab can take you there.

wendy w.20
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I want to turn off the SOUND notifications. The Dropbox setting message is about SHOWING notifications, which I want.
How do I turn off the #@@%%$& sound???

I don't know if this started when I switched to Win 10 or if Dropbox made a change but it's super annoying. I'll try the solutions others listed above but I suggest Dropbox look up the definition of "show" and understand it doesn't include SOUND pollution. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Samantha P.7 New member | Level 1
    Robert S. Super User alumni
    wendy w.20 Explorer | Level 3
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?