cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: You're invited to download the Dropbox desktop app emails

"Your files are nearly ready to be uploaded"

tcragnolini
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I got an email supposedly from dropbox. with the subject "ATTN: We recommend completing your Dropbox setup ASAP", and then saying "Your files are nearly ready to be uploaded", followed by a dropbox.com link, with the following format https://www.dropbox.com/l/XXXX0x_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxxxxxxx/h (characters are different). This seems like it could be legit, but also could be some kind of scam ? Any way I can confirm what it is without clicking the link? I tried searching for it on google and got no results back.

57 Replies 57

JohnGoodwillie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

I'm on macOS Monterey version 12.6.1. It's possible I haven't gone into Dropbox since I got this.

The email I got was:

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 19.49.13.png

Completing my Dropbox setup doesn't sound like updating my Dropbox to make it compatible. Is that all it is?

John

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey John, thanks for the screenshot! 

Was this email sent to you by no-reply@dropbox.com or another one of our official domains?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JohnGoodwillie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Nancy, it was no-reply@dropbox.com

John

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @JohnGoodwillie, thanks for clarifying that for us.

It seems that the email you received is legit and is probably prompting you about this update

If you choose to  move forward with the update, make sure to familiarize yourself with the changes outlined here

Hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JohnGoodwillie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, Walter and Nancy. That seems to be working. Grateful for your help.

joaquinelio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
got the msg after maybe 3 years since installation.
Android removed app permissions because I wasn't using it (didnt ask), my main workplace is desktop.
Maybe the app felt restricted then sent the issue, the mail should consider this.

imajeff
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How many times do you do this in error? I just got it this morning, and I'm afraid that someone abusing the system is able to gain access to my dropbox if I clicked the "Continue" in that email. Or is it possible they create a new dropbox account with also my email address as a sort of identity theft?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone!

To those who have flagged this with us, we want to confirm that this is actually a legit Dropbox email, so it's nothing suspicious.

You can either ignore it, as it must have been sent out in error, or even click the "unsubscribe" option at the bottom of the email.

If you want to confirm that your account is secure, you can simply sign into it online, without clicking the links in the email.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

imajeff
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Then please add more detail in the email, to tell me what they are talking about? I just got another one 4 hours ago and maybe it is something I don't remember that I did on a specific computer, but I have no clue which computer to look on. A host name would help.

I realized it is not even sending it to the same email address that I have my dropbox account on.

Kooskoos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I did forward to that email address. It has been a few days no with no response. Not sure how long it is supposed to take for feedback.

Need more support?