cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to stop getting emails about the app

"Your files are nearly ready to be uploaded"

tcragnolini
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I got an email supposedly from dropbox. with the subject "ATTN: We recommend completing your Dropbox setup ASAP", and then saying "Your files are nearly ready to be uploaded", followed by a dropbox.com link, with the following format https://www.dropbox.com/l/XXXX0x_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxxxxxxx/h (characters are different). This seems like it could be legit, but also could be some kind of scam ? Any way I can confirm what it is without clicking the link? I tried searching for it on google and got no results back.

57 Replies 57

SweetTasha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't want to use the app. I've received 3 email message in November, and more in previous months. Here's an example of the email message heading:

11/24/2022, 8:42 AM
ATTN: We recommend completing your Dropbox setup ASAP

I just want to stop having to read and discard them.

I don't use Dropbox frequently, but it's great when I do need it.

Thanks for your help.
SweetTasha.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@SweetTasha wrote:

I don't want to use the app. I've received 3 email message in November, and more in previous months.

There's no setting to stop receiving them. That said, I have a couple of secondary accounts that I use only through the website and I no longer receive the emails. They likely stop after a certain amount of time.

Robert_Bl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why am I receiving mails inviting me to download the Dropbox desktop app while I have the app since 2018 on my computer?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Robert_Bl, what does the email say exactly?

Can you please send us a screenshot, while hiding your personal info?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JohnGoodwillie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I think I have the same problem as Robert_BI. The email says: 

Your files are nearly ready to be uploaded Click below to see how easy it is to complete your Dropbox setup: you'll be able to access your files from anywhere.   Continue Questions? Check out our help center for answers to frequently asked questions.

Like him I've had a Dropbox account for years and I haven't asked for any change or re-applied in any way.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JohnGoodwillie, welcome to our Community! 

Is it possible that your app is linked on a different Dropbox account, using a different email address, than the one you received the email to?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Robert_Bl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Hannah,

Here's a screenshot of the mail. Could it be a phishing mail?

The email address it was sent to is the same as the one used for my current Dropbox account.

JohnGoodwillie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

No, the email came to the same email address as I use for Dropbox. Continued on next reply.

JohnGoodwillie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Continuation: Dropbox says: “Dropbox for macOS is now ready. Update Dropbox to use it on the latest version of macOS. [Invitation to click on] Upgrade.”

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, I hope you’re doing great!

@Robert_Bl, I’d suggest ignoring this email and not clicking on anything, if you’re not sure about the sender. If you keep receiving the same type of emails though in the following days, please let us know.

@JohnGoodwillie, can you clarify which OS version is your device running at the moment? Is it possible that the email you’re referring to is the prompt to install the updated Dropbox for macOS app? Feel free to send over a screenshot of the message you mention, if you prefer.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?