cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow others to View and Download from A Folder in my Dropbox folder? How to do this?

Allow others to View and Download from A Folder in my Dropbox folder? How to do this?

wb7c
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I am having trouble reading the Dropbox Help Center with its low-contrast theme, so I am asking here.

I am running Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit and using MATE Desktop.  I am running the very latest Firefox browser, 60.0.1, 64-bit.  My Dropbox installation is designed for the Gnome desktop.  Therefore I don't see all the integration I am used to back when I ran Windoze.

I can edit on dropbox.com and see changes in my Dropbox. I can drop something in my Dropbox and see it on the website.   Using the website tools, I can send someone an invitation from the website to share a file to be viewed and downloaded.  (Or edited too if I want.) I saw today where I could copy links to my clipboard and paste them to my own email instead of using the canned invitation.  Not sure where I saw that.

I write a column for a club newsletter and it includes big photo files not suitable to be attached and emailed.

My question is, is it possible to link a folder and if so, how do I go about it?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Welcome to the Dropbox Community wb7c & thanks a lot for reaching out here on this inquiry! 

It’s my understanding that you’re asking about how could go about sharing a link from your account online, hence I’ll send you the relevant steps, as outlined here

• Go to your filestructure on your account on the web & hover your cursor over the file or folder you'd like to share and click Share when it appears. 
  • If a link hasn't been created, click Create a link. (On the other hand, if a link was already created, click Copy link.)
  • The link will be copied to your clipboard (Tip: You’ll also receive a notification on the bottom of your screen confirming that). You can then paste it to an email, message, or wherever people can access it.

Additionally, if you're on a Dropbox Professional or Dropbox Business account, you could also modify your shared link permissions

Please note that the steps above will grant recipients View-only access (which is best for when you need to share a file with a large audience) & everyone with the link will be able to access your content. 

I hope my advice is helpful to you & please do let me know if anything is unclear to you or I have misunderstood, as I remain at your entire disposal should you need further assistance. I’m wishing you a creative & fruitful rest of your day!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No, they dont.

It is simply an internet link that when clicked on takes them to a page on Dropbox.com. They may be asked to sign up or log in, but, they can just click on the X in the top right or tap escape to get past that.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Welcome to the Dropbox Community wb7c & thanks a lot for reaching out here on this inquiry! 

It’s my understanding that you’re asking about how could go about sharing a link from your account online, hence I’ll send you the relevant steps, as outlined here

• Go to your filestructure on your account on the web & hover your cursor over the file or folder you'd like to share and click Share when it appears. 
  • If a link hasn't been created, click Create a link. (On the other hand, if a link was already created, click Copy link.)
  • The link will be copied to your clipboard (Tip: You’ll also receive a notification on the bottom of your screen confirming that). You can then paste it to an email, message, or wherever people can access it.

Additionally, if you're on a Dropbox Professional or Dropbox Business account, you could also modify your shared link permissions

Please note that the steps above will grant recipients View-only access (which is best for when you need to share a file with a large audience) & everyone with the link will be able to access your content. 

I hope my advice is helpful to you & please do let me know if anything is unclear to you or I have misunderstood, as I remain at your entire disposal should you need further assistance. I’m wishing you a creative & fruitful rest of your day!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

wb7c
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you, Jane!  Following your steps, I saw all of my Dropbox folders and who could see them, and that share button upon hover.  That popped up the email form I had ised to share files, and down bottom right was the "Copy link" link.

I invited one person who is dubious about getting involved with having to create an account to see my stuff, so is there a way to remove an invitee?  Likewise I invited one whose Dropbox account is under a different email address, so I should revoke that invitation.

I shall make a copy of your answer above for future reference!  Thank you.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great, happy to hear that the steps above have worked for you wb7c, let me follow-up in a bit more detail below! 

Following to your request, as per: 

I invited one person who is dubious about getting involved with having to create an account to see my stuff, so is there a way to remove an invitee?

You may keep in mind that you can un-invite someone from a share by going to the Share option again, where all folder members are listed. Once you find the invite you’d like to cancel, you can go next to your friend’s name, where their permission is listed & click there :downwards_button:
, where you’ll get a drop-down menu, as below: 

From there, you’ll just have to Remove them from the shared folder & re-invite them on the correct email address or send them the shared link if they wish to avoid creating a Dropbox account. 

Please do let me know how these steps work for you & I’ll do my best to check back with you in the best way I can. Cheers! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

wb7c
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey, thank you again Jane.  I now understyand that my view-only option is just a link to the invitee, whreas one of my invitees is already a Dropbox user.  This user invited me with full-edit privileges and both of us have this folder on our computers.  I posted a text message in this folder and saw it up online in the new folder.

Quesrion for you:  The recipient of a view link, I assume has to become an account-holder to view anything?  I have a sneaking hunch the answer is yrs......

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No, they dont.

It is simply an internet link that when clicked on takes them to a page on Dropbox.com. They may be asked to sign up or log in, but, they can just click on the X in the top right or tap escape to get past that.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wb7c
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Excellent comeback Mark!  I saw the answer when I read Jane's last line, but you gave me the full experience of a nonuser coming into contact with that link.  Thank you!  And Jane, too, for that matter, as you both had the right answer.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah, perfect, I’m so glad to hear that your inquiry was answered wb7c & thanks a lot for getting back in touch to confirm. 

In any case, we’re always just a message away in case you have further questions or feedback in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out at any time. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead! :slight_smile: :coffee:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    wb7c Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?