cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't unshare a folder

Can't unshare a folder

endmission
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I am a French Guy so sorry for my English. I am not able to cancle the sharing of a folder even if I do this on the setting of that folder. Like this way : https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/Unshared-folder-still-showing-up-a-shared/...

Anyone can help?

28 Replies 28

Zed
Dropbox Staff

Hello @endmission,

One workaround would be to :

1) Remove all current members off the folder

2) Create a new folder in your Dropbox and copy all the content from the shared folder to the newly created folder.

3) Once the content is copied, got to the original shared folder and start deleting the contents.

4) Then delete that folder.

Let me know if that works, I'll be happy to help further, thanks!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

eldoctore1
Explorer | Level 3
I'm sorry but this is a lousy and potentially very time consuming work around. If the parent folder contains several gigs and thousands of files, we're talking about hours of work/waiting.

We should be able to unshare pretty easily but despite trying solutions offered on this community board, my folder remains shared.

jspencer
Helpful | Level 5

I am having the same issue.  I need to move a folder that was shared to a new shared folder.  I choose "unshare" for my original folder.  It removed all members.  It states  "only you", meaning me, yet the shared icon will not got away nor can I move it to a new shared folder.  And please don't say if it says "only you" then I need to removed myself.  All of my folders that are unshared say that, yet aren't shared and do not have the icon representing the folders are shared.  This has happened to me multiple times and I can't seem to find any advice on how to fix the problem other than copy all of the files to a new folder individually, which is a waste of time.

Zed
Dropbox Staff

Hello @jspencer,

If you are the owner of that shared folder, when you click on "Share" you should see the

:gear: Folder Settings and then Unshare folder.

Let me know if that helps, thanks!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jspencer
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, and I did click Unshare.  However, the folder itself (even after I unshare) still has the "shared" icon - the two people figures in the folder.  The members column shows "only you".  After I have clicked unshare, and try to move it to a new shared folder, I get a message that I can't, because I can't have a shared folder within a shared folder.  I understand that concept.  Unfortunately, when I unshare, it doesn't recognize that.  It removes all the members, but like I said, the folder icon still shows two people figure like it is still shared.

Rich
Super User II

jspencer wrote:

The members column shows "only you".

You're still a member of the folder, so it's still considered shared. Remove yourself from it.

dave800
New member | Level 2
While it's mind boggling that i'm the only member of the folder and its still considered "shared" is beyond me, but once I unshared the folder from everyone, than I was able to move it, Thank You

Rich
Super User II
When you remove the last member, Dropbox can't assume that you want to unshare the folder. What if you were removing everyone to add a new set of people? You'd have to go through the sharing process again. It's better to not assume anything and allow you to unshare the folder when you're ready.

brundon
New member | Level 2

I agree - the design of this is absolutely terrible; this should be very straight forward.  If I remove other people from it and I am the only one with access, then it should not be considered a shared folder any longer.

I think what I had to do was first "Remove from Dropbox".  The folder still showed up with the "you haven't joined this folder" message.  So then I went into Deleted Files and selected "Permanently Delete".  Now finally it is gone.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Michel G.7 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?