Announcements
In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

Cannot see files and folders co-user of a shared folder has loaded

8 Comments
5 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4

Cannot see files and folders co-user of a shared folder has loaded

I have Dropbox Plus.  I have shared a folder with a friend who has Dropbox Free.  Till recently everything went fine, I could see the files and folders that she uploaded.  Suddenly now, new folders and files loaded by her are not appearing in my relevant Dropbox Plus shared folder (the previously-loaded files and folders are still there).  Why might this be happening? 

8 Replies
Super User

Re: Cannot see files and folders co-user of a shared folder has loaded

mmp997 wrote:

I have Dropbox Plus.  I have shared a folder with a friend who has Dropbox Free.  Till recently everything went fine, I could see the files and folders that she uploaded.  Suddenly now, new folders and files loaded by her are not appearing in my relevant Dropbox Plus shared folder (the previously-loaded files and folders are still there).  Why might this be happening? 

Hello, @mmp997...

I suggest that you read the first article listed below that explains Sharing a Collaborative Folder requires enough storage space in both of your accounts (unless everyone is a member of the same Dropbox Business Account).

How much storage space does it show when your friend looks here while being logged-in to Dropbox.com (eg: 825 MB of 2 GB used)?

If your friend is over their storage space quota then their newer files cannot upload for you to view.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

Level 4

I shall have to wait for her answer to the space question, since we are in different time-zones.  However her files ARE uploading to Dropbox.com, with her name attached.  The problem appears to be that they are not reaching my local Dropbox folders from Dropbox.com.  puzzling because under 'Recent Files' I am told: "Up to date".  But to repeat, files which she has added, which are in Dropbox.com, are not in my local Dropbox folders.

Super User

mmp997 wrote:

I shall have to wait for her answer to the space question, since we are in different time-zones.  However her files ARE uploading to Dropbox.com, with her name attached.  The problem appears to be that they are not reaching my local Dropbox folders from Dropbox.com.  puzzling because under 'Recent Files' I am told: "Up to date".  But to repeat, files which she has added, which are in Dropbox.com, are not in my local Dropbox folders.

Hello, @mmp997...

Okay about her storage space.

When you mention "local", do you mean the files are not syncing to your Drobox folder on your hard drive?

Does your events page show that her files are being uploaded to your Shared Collaborative Folder?

Perhaps you could take a screenshot minus any sensitive information and post it so we can see what you're viewing.

Super User II

mmp997 wrote:

... files which she has added, which are in Dropbox.com, are not in my local Dropbox folders.

Are you on Windows? Do any of these files contain characters that would be considered illegal?

Level 4

301EL Yes to both questions

Rich - this is a Windows system

Here is the screenshot.  You see 3 files on Dropbox.com:

[1] "Comment on the Region page.doc" - uploaded by me, synced to Angeline's Dropbox folders
[2] "Comment on the Region page - Response.doc" - uploaded by Angeline, not synced to my Dropbox folders

[3] "Comment on the Region page - Response-1.doc" - uploaded by me, synced to Angeline's Dropbox folders

So what is it that is preventing her files from being synced to my Dropbox folders?

ScreenHunter_154 Oct. 05 00.06.jpg

Level 4

To add to that, one thing is not clear to me.  When the Dropbox widget on the toolbar of my desktop says: "You added 15 hours ago" "Angeline added 17 hours ago" does that refer to 'added to Dropbox.com' or 'was added to the Dropbox folders on your desktop'?  Because some of these items were not in fact added to the Dropbox folders on my desktop.

(I cannot screenshot this as the screenshot would contain personal names)

Super User

mmp997 wrote:

301EL Yes to both questions

Rich - this is a Windows system

So what is it that is preventing her files from being synced to my Dropbox folders?

Hello, @mmp997...

Thank you for the screenshot.

Either @Rich's response is the possible cause or what I said in my first response is preventing her files from syncing.

Did she ever check her current storage space availability?  If not... we need those answers before we assist you any further.  If she's over her free Basic account storage quota then her files will not sync.

Send the URL to this thread to your friend so she can read it if you haven't done so already.

Super User

mmp997 wrote:

To add to that, one thing is not clear to me.  When the Dropbox widget on the toolbar of my desktop says: "You added 15 hours ago" "Angeline added 17 hours ago" does that refer to 'added to Dropbox.com' or 'was added to the Dropbox folders on your desktop'?  Because some of these items were not in fact added to the Dropbox folders on my desktop.

Hello, @mmp997...

What does it say when you hover your mouse pointer over the Desktop Client?  Does it say, "Up to date"?  If so, then those files should appear in your Dropbox folder on your hard drive.

Please clarify your statement above that mentions that your Dropbox Folder is on your Desktop.  Usually, it's not located on your desktop unless you changed the default location when you installed it.

Perhaps you're looking for the updated files that your friend is adding to your shared folder in the wrong folder on your hard drive (folder on desktop vs actual Dropbox folder).  I don't know for sure, but it's a possibility and I'm not being a smart-arse when asking.  By doing so... I'm making sure that we're on the same page as far as where you're looking for the updated files.

The shared folder with your friend should be inside the Dropbox folder on your hard drive (view screenshot below).

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP CENTER ARTICLES: