cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client says Getting "Dropbox is Full"?

Client says Getting "Dropbox is Full"?

Choreo
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a 1-TB Dropbox account which is virtually empty. I created a new folder for a client to upload some files to me and I "shared" that link with him. He then started uploading files and he used up 5.75GB of my 1-TB limit and he says he is getting the message that his Dropbox is full? How can that be? 

I "think" he has his own free Dropbox account, but I am not sure - would that interfere with the shared link I sent him from my Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi 

That error is because you have a 1TB account. They do not. 

To be a part of a shared folder EVERYBODY needs to have the available quota to access it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jervid
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Im getting the same thing and its hindering my workflow as I have collaborators working on the same project.

I have a 1TB Dropbox which is one quarter full. My colleagues are uploading to it and working from files there but they keep getting warnings saying they are approaching their limit.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi 

That error is because you have a 1TB account. They do not. 

To be a part of a shared folder EVERYBODY needs to have the available quota to access it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Mark is correct, more information about how shared folders affect quota can be found here.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jervid
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ah ok, thanks for your reply and forgive my ignorance, is there a way for them to just upload to my account without 'sharing a folder' and having to purchase a large allowance for themselves?

Otherwise Dropbox as a sharing and storage system is next to useless for working with my clients and fellow workers.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That’s definitely possible, @Jervid.

You can create a file request, and using that URL, people can upload to your account even without a Dropbox account of their own.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BigWater
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hmmm. Kinda useless for my business. Moving to Google. Why would my clients pay $100 a year to view a file once?

Didn't think this one through, Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@BigWater wrote:

Why would my clients pay $100 a year to view a file once?

Why would they indeed, since that's not necessary, at all. If they only need to view a file, send them a Share Link to the file or folder. They don't even need an account of their own.

Jgreg65
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm not sure how to make their quota larger. I also have the 1 terabyte account thats 25% used. I made a shared folder so the person without dropbox can upload to it but heis getting "full"messages / errors.  Exactly how can I increase his limit without giving him my account credentials or anything crazy like that?

Thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------------

Found the "File Request" option I'm trying that now. Thanks

BigWater
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ya  I gave up on dropbox. I went to google. It's a bit better. Now I use Frameio for editing files. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jgreg65 Helpful | Level 5
    BigWater New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?