cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Submit your story to win a $25 Amazon gift card and a Dropbox hoodie! Ends Nov. 16
Known issues updated Learn more
5 Comments
4 Likes
Highlighted
Level 5

Community Group Sharing Info

HI All,
I am a member of a local community orchard group. We are interested in storing group information online and sharing it amongst members of the group. We are not a business and the group does not make financial gain. I wondered whether we could set up an account (perhaps our group's Secretary could do this) and share documents from our group between other members of the group but on a Free Account, although I am sure she wont mind setting up a Plus account if needed.
We also have a list of books and equipment that we share and it would be good if we could edit the list to let other members know to whom a particular book or piece of equipment has been loaned. Could we all do this without having every member open a Dropbox account or perhaps share this one account between the group?
Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer

Re: Community Group Sharing Info

Hey @AndyDOHD, thanks for reaching out for advice on our Community with this detailed post! 

Based on your description, it seems that storing all your info in an upgraded account sounds like the best way to go, provided that the account holder stays within the organization. From there, you may keep in mind that sharing a folder with users outside the team will impact their space, so your best option would be to send them a View-only shared link

In case you may need them to contribute in your projects or in any way send your files in return, you could ask them to send you a File Request. (Note: This could be a great workaround for users that aren’t currently using a Dropbox account. )

When it comes to your inquiry below: 

We also have a list of books and equipment that we share and it would be good if we could edit the list to let other members know to whom a particular book or piece of equipment has been loaned.

To my mind you could use Dropbox Paper to get going with this project, as you can create & customize docs, which many users can work on at the same time, though you could also create a file & share it based on the steps I sent you above. 

Hopefully this points you towards the right direction & please do let me know how the options above work for you or if you have misunderstood your requests in any way. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

5 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey @AndyDOHD, thanks for reaching out for advice on our Community with this detailed post! 

Based on your description, it seems that storing all your info in an upgraded account sounds like the best way to go, provided that the account holder stays within the organization. From there, you may keep in mind that sharing a folder with users outside the team will impact their space, so your best option would be to send them a View-only shared link

In case you may need them to contribute in your projects or in any way send your files in return, you could ask them to send you a File Request. (Note: This could be a great workaround for users that aren’t currently using a Dropbox account. )

When it comes to your inquiry below: 

We also have a list of books and equipment that we share and it would be good if we could edit the list to let other members know to whom a particular book or piece of equipment has been loaned.

To my mind you could use Dropbox Paper to get going with this project, as you can create & customize docs, which many users can work on at the same time, though you could also create a file & share it based on the steps I sent you above. 

Hopefully this points you towards the right direction & please do let me know how the options above work for you or if you have misunderstood your requests in any way. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 5

Hi Jane,
Thanks for that information. At the moment we have a generic yahoo email address for the secretary of the group so it doesn't belong to anyone in particular and it would probably be used as the login email address for anyone holding that post.
Many thanks again,
Andy

Dropboxer

Thanks a lot for getting back in touch with me here Andy! 

I know that if you’ve already decided to follow that route, you won’t probably change your mind, though I’d like to advise you against sharing credentials, as many issues could arise. Please note that anyone having access to the account credentials automatically becomes the account owner

In any event, whenever you get a chance to try my sharing-specific suggestions, you may feel free to let me know how my advice works for you or if you need more info about any of the above. It was a pleasure discussing that with you here & take care until we talk again! 

Jane

Level 5

Hi Jane,
Many thanks for your advice and assistance.
Andy

Dropboxer

Absolutely Andy, that’s why we’re here! Please don’t hesitate to post us again in case you have more thoughts or questions. Hope you have a wonderful & relaxed weekend ahead! slightly smiling face

Jane

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Sharing and collaboration.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post