cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting shared files if not the owner

Deleting shared files if not the owner

hennatar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!

If I give a permisson "can edit" to a folder this should mean that people can edit, delete, comment and add the file to their dropbox.. But still they can only comment and add the file to their dropbox but there is no way to edit the document or delete it? What's wrong? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Sounds like they're viewing the file through a share link, which provides view and download access only, rather than joining a shared folder.

Have you invited them to a shared folder and have they accepted it?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Sounds like they're viewing the file through a share link, which provides view and download access only, rather than joining a shared folder.

Have you invited them to a shared folder and have they accepted it?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @hennatar - is it possible that you only shared a link to this folder with them? 

If you shared a link to the folder in question with them, anyone with the link can view the contents, but can’t edit them.

For them to be able to edit, they'd need to add it to their Dropbox account. 

Let me know if I understood correctly and we'll take it from there if needed. Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

hennatar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!

Thank you for your answer! That was exactly the case back then and now I am having problems again since I would need to share a folder with a person who does not have a dropbox account. The instructions says: "You can share folders and files in your Dropbox account with anyone (even if they don’t have a Dropbox account). " but now that I am trying it with my own email address which I have no account, it still asks me to create an account. I have no idea what am I doing wrong here...  thanks for any help!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Now it's the opposite. You want to use a Shre Link to the folder but you're probably creating a Shared Folder instead. Share Links do not require an account. Shared Folders do.

Follow the steps in the first link that I posted above.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    hennatar New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?