cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do I have to pay to download files?

Do I have to pay to download files?

dbnoob
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My friend pays for a standard DB account and has uploaded a large file. They sent me a link. I get an message telling me that I need to upgrade my account to add the file. I don't want to add the file. I just want to download it. How do I do that?

I'm only familiar with GD. With GD I can send people a download link and give them download permission with their email. They don't have to buy anything to download it because I've already purchased enough space to host the file.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Ah, he has sent you a shared folder rather than a shared link.

Shared folders allow for collaboration which if you only want to download you the other person needs to send you a link only. https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/shared-links

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You are clicking on 'Add to Dropbox' instead of 'Download'.

You wont be able to add to your Dropbox if you dont have the quota, so, you'll need to choose the Download only options. You may need to click on the three dots [...] to see that option, and you will need to do each file individually.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dbnoob
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The only button is "Add" and the only option under the three dots is to "remove my access". I cannot open the folder unless I add it. Where else might a download option be? Right clicking just gives me browser options "back, forward, reload" etc. Thanks for the reply! But I'm still stuck.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Ah, he has sent you a shared folder rather than a shared link.

Shared folders allow for collaboration which if you only want to download you the other person needs to send you a link only. https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/shared-links

dbnoob
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok thanks, I'll tell them to send it as a link, mystery solved!

Need more support?