Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox permanently deleting my contacts

Level 2

Wanting to share one of my DB folders, I sent an invitation to a friend's Gmail address.  She will not accept the invitation because this window popped up: "Dropbox wants access to your Google account.  This will allow Dropbox to see, edit, and permanently delete your contacts.

1. Why would anyone want DB to edit and permanently delete his Gmail contacts?  
  2. Is there a way for her to share my folder without giving DB the keys to her Gmail kingdom?

Thanks.

6 Replies

Re: Dropbox permanently deleting my contacts

Super User II

This is common with apps, and it's not so much Dropbox asking for permission to delete contacts (it doesn't), but more that Dropbox needs access to contacts for when you share and Google happens to include the delete permission in with that access. It's not as nefarious as it sounds.

Level 4

Surely, they must be referring to their copy of our contacts?

(If not, that would be crazy. If so, it's crazy they don't more clearly state that.)

Super User II

No, it doesn't mean their copy of your contacts. It means your contacts, period. And that message is not from Dropbox; it's from your operating system. Google determines what permissions an app can request. If you want it more clearly stated or you want the permissions to be different, then it's Google you need to convince as they control that.

Dropbox is saying "I'd like to read your contacts." Google is saying "Ok, you can read them, but you can also edit and delete them. Have fun!"

Level 4
Then I guess it’s not as nefarious as it sounds because Dropbox has no reason to delete our contacts, or if they did delete them it would be a disaster for them?

ET3 Level 2
Level 2

I am brand new to drop box and when I read "Dropbox wants access to your Google account.  This will allow Dropbox to see, edit, and permanently delete your contacts.I stopped everything and have never used it. 

Level 4
Dropbox is so handy and important, I use it anyway. Though I still don’t understand exactly what that permission could include (personally, I’ve never noticed it stated in such a manner with any other app) I figure it must be fairly standard and I’ve never had any problems using it. Also, I figure if they actually went around deleting users’ contacts ON USERS’ DEVICES I’d think they’d be inviting a #%*~load of trouble ethically, legally and “reputationally.” But I gotta say, as far as I know, they could have done it to millions of people and we never find out. Comforting? slightly smiling face
Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox permanently deleting my contacts
6 Replies
2 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post