cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
LGM - the issue is that people are abusing it and causing issues for everybody by getting the Dropbox domains blacklisted which cause emails to fail and downloads to be blocked by firewalls etc.

In terms of changing the extension, sorry, no idea how you would do that!

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

659 Replies 659

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

This isnt exactly new news I'm afraid.

And it was replaced a LONG LONG time ago by shared links which are pretty much Public Links BUT allowed in any location within your Dropbox: www.dropbox.com/help/167 (as per the link in the email)

Edit: apologies I have received my email now. I believed initially this was a change to the way HTML files were rendered not that they were going completely. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

narikaa
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

This I fear is disasterous news for anyone (like me) who has used the public folder links to post images on web forums.

Web forum software, it seems when using the [img]....[/img] codes , accepts the "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com......." format of current public folder links , but rejects the "https://www.dropbox.com......" format of current links from any other folder.

This means the horrible prospect of not only the loss of many years of input across multi forums (with the upcoming negation of 'old' links to the Public Folder) but the need to seek out alternate on-line storage for the future!

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Mark  - Thanks but the behaviour is different.

@narikaa - I hadn't considered the loss of already posted conent, that is indeed an issue

LGM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
That's a real shame.
I've been praising Dropbox for this very efficient way of sharing images in forums for a few years now.
There is absolutely no reason to give up the Public folder.
The only point here it to get some advertising for dropbox services through users shares .. really lame.

Dropbox used to be so clean and easy and .. well, let's find some other online hosting service then.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm not sure how its different behaviour in the examples you gave?

You can also create any link using the format above to get a BB-type link by changing the www. to dl-dropbox...

LGM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Mark: "You can also create any link using the format above to get a BB-type link by changing the www. to dl-dropbox..."

You are right !

So maybe we just have to slightly modify the Dropbox finder extension to provide an extra menu entry "Public Share" which would create the share link following this syntax ?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
LGM - the issue is that people are abusing it and causing issues for everybody by getting the Dropbox domains blacklisted which cause emails to fail and downloads to be blocked by firewalls etc.

In terms of changing the extension, sorry, no idea how you would do that!

narikaa
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
One wonders how Photobucket 'et all' get away with providing 'BB code ' options to their shared links

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You still can with Dropbox.... as has already been said.

And the issue isnt the BB links. Its the fact Public folders can host HTML pages at present. They've also been a depreciated feature now for many years. Its hardly an unexpected move

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LGM Helpful | Level 5
    ym58 Helpful | Level 7
    awolff Helpful | Level 6
    ThomasPaul Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?