cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

XKZ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Kiaz, which options have you found that work just like the public folder?

Oskar_M
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

After a few hours of work, I have modified all my links (about 1500) to point to the new shared links. For my photos to be seen I used the raw=1 option. Do you know if Dropbox will allow the option later?

Thanks in advance.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
---"After a few hours of work, I have modified all my links (about 1500) to point to the new shared links. For my photos to be seen I used the raw=1 option. Do you know if Dropbox will allow the option later?"---

Yes... if they prove NOT to be the suicidally stupid myopic Trumpish uncaring bunch of bastards we fear. It's not looking good so far....

kiaz h.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Other free service provider, a free webhost. Only 1500 mbytes space if free, but that's enough for me.
Upload on ftp, access/download on http.

infotime
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I think I found the answer for me:
http://www.yummysoftware.com/Product-Information-Watcher/

Only $19.95 one time fee. Watches a folder on my Mac and automatically uploads to an FTP site. I already have a basic website and it was easy to setup.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
What if you don't have a website? And does it support direct links?

Albert_Sieben
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Over 5 years I have worked with the public links in Dropbox and praised them for it to everyone I knew.

Now they tell me I have to change over 25000 links .....

How on earth am I going to do that ?

And much more, what happens in the mean time ?

September 1, that's the date the axe is going to fall .... yeah, right, so what do I do in the mean time then ?

Asking support doesnt bring any answers. I'm left in the dark here with only an execution of my work in the near future.

Sure, I can still create stuff and set out public links, but what is the use of working with Dropbox now ?

I wish someone could help me here, for I am lost and feeling **bleep** crappy about it.

Hugs to you all !

Dolphinuser67
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If Dropbox does not change its current path of killing all Public folders / Public links and goes forward with that ridiculous plan, I will review my other cloud options.  I am already paying for Office 365 so I already got an almost illimited (1000 GB!) Onedrive at no additional cost... why should I stick with Dropbox if they start killing all of their most useful features one by one?

I would also like to point out if Dropbox goes forward and keeps shooting themselves in the foot, I will stop recommending Dropbox to friends and family and move to other options like Onedrive.

Dropbox, please reconsider: your reputation, your revenue, your business and your users are at stake here. Do you seriously expect to be successful on the stock markets when millions of users complain about you killing off the best feature of your only product? How good does that sound for future revenue?

verstaerker
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

hey Dropbox-Team

thanks for that step. I moved now to my own hosted cloud-storage on my NAS.

I have full control what get's shared and whats not and almost unlimited space.

It's very hard to understand why you've choosen that step and why are you not even trying to explain.

Good bye! 

kiaz h.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've moved my business from dropbox public links to another provider that supports the same as public links, so dropbox please... do what that manager who thinks is good, but don't be surprised of less and less users use dropbox...

Need more support?