cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 429: Public/shared links are generating too much traffic & have been temporarily disabled!

SOLVED
210 Comments
70 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

Error 429: Public/shared links are generating too much traffic & have been temporarily disabled!

How can I fix this???

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: My account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Hello everyone, 

Here's some useful information regarding the status of your Shared Links:

If your shared links or file requests have stopped working, and you've ruled out other causes, they may have been banned because of too much traffic.

2b7ddcd472e4e80fbef34e804a6b033e.png

When your shared links are banned, you can't share them, but the files are still available to you in your Dropbox. When your file requests are banned, people will not be able to upload files to your file request.

Traffic limits

Links and file requests are automatically banned if they generate unusually large amounts of traffic.

Dropbox Basic (free) accounts:

• The total amount of traffic that all of your links and file requests together can generate without getting banned is 20 GB per day.
  • The total number of downloads that all of your links together can generate is 100,000 downloads per day.

Dropbox Plus and Dropbox Business accounts:

• The total amount of traffic that all of your links and file requests together can generate without getting banned is about 200 GB per day.
  • There's no daily limit to the number of downloads that your links can generate.

Each upload and download—even if it’s made by the same person multiple times—counts toward your bandwidth limit. For example, if you have a 2 GB file and someone downloads it five times, that’s 10 GB of bandwidth.

If your account hits our limit, we'll send a message to the email address registered to your account. Your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files.

If you think your links have been suspended incorrectly for this reason, contact our support team and we'll take a look.

Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

210 Replies
Super User alumni

Re: My account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Whats to fix? You exceeded your accounts daily bandwidth limit, and the ban length ranges from 24 hours to 72 hours, longer if this isn't your first time.

You can remove the ban immediately by upgrading to the Pro account, which comes with an increased bandwidth quota of 200GB (free accounts is 20GB).

Level 1

I have dropbox pro account even i am getting same issue.

so how can i fix this?

I have already remove my most of excessive traffic public links after suspension. but still no luck.

please help me. 

Super User II

There isnt anything to fix as Richard said. 

You need to wait out the suspension at which point they will automatically start working again 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

You guys are absolutely infuriating with those completely useless responses to this problem.

I have no idea what links or files could POSSIBLY be generating too much traffic. This has been an issue on Dropbox for years, yet Dropbox - and its "super users" (as above) - play the "blame the victim" game and act like we know what we're doing and should just "stop doing that".

I have NO IDEA what links are generating too much traffic because Dropbox NEVER SENDS A NOTICE or provides ANY tracking reference as to what links generate too much traffic, how much traffic a link generates, or anything we can use to prevent or resolve the problem!

Every time I try to share a link to a file to someone, I only realize AFTER I sent it that I can't even  download the file I just posted - because "This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Temporarily? How temporarily? To me it seems like forever - even after I upgraded to Pro. How in the hell could ANY of my small (usually 1-5MB) files, which aren't even linked in the public, generate more than 200GB of traffic in a day?!!

Level 1

the silence is is so thick and juicy you could cut it with a fork.. but who would want to? xD

Level 1

I had the same issue for many years and the links are never renewed. 

Super User II

Matt - as a free user you do not get 200gb of downloads. You get 20gb. And no, Dropbox do not tell you what the file is, nor do they tell you how much you are using. It is believed (although never confirmed) that its because Dropbox isnt actually content distribution system and they don't want people sailing as close to the wind as possible. 

Steve - if you have extended outages Steve something else has caused the links to stop - possibly DCMA take down notices, viruses/malware from the account (note - not saying they are accurate, can be false positive). 

Log a ticket with support to ask what the issue is. www.dropbox.com/support 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

I had this issue for a few years without any results in site.  The closest thing I received is an understanding that it maybe it might be either this or that.  A friend of mine had a similar problem with his shared files and they told him to buy the Pro version and then the problem will go away.  He did and it didn't.

Working on this issue is a exercise in futility

Super User II

Did you actually contact support Steve?