cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder shows as read-only, how to allow edit access?

View Only on Shared Folder. How to change my permissions?

PierreSchlum
New member | Level 2

Hello, my friend sent me a folder but he doesn't have the option to allow me to "edit", only to "view." 

I want to be able to make changes to this folder but have no idea how...

I have a business account through the agency I work for but I don't think I have a personal account of my own... could that be the problem?

This friend is not related to my agency at all.

Thanks for your help!

Pierre.

13 Replies 13

mjguy
New member | Level 2

How do I unlock a folder, its a read only folder. Everything in the folder is read only and I can't save. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @mjguy - thanks for posting your question here!

I am not sure this falls under my scope of expertise since locking folders into read only state is not a Dropbox feature rather than your computer's Operating System.

Having said that now, I'd still like to assist with this.

If on a Mac device: 

Select the file or folder you want to unlock from the Finder.

1. Go to the File menu and choose “Get Info” (or hit Command+i)
  2. Look under 'General' and click the 'Locked' checkbox so that it's un-selected.

If on a Windows device: 

1. Right-click the file or folder icon.
  2. Remove the check mark by the Read Only item in the file's Properties dialog box. The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.
  3. Click OK.

I hope you'll find this helpful and please let me know if there's anything else I could help with. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ryanmuir
New member | Level 2

didnt work for me, OS automatically changes file back to "Locked"

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this @ryanmuir.

Just to make sure we're on the same page now, could you elaborate a tad on the matter that seems to be troubling you and, if possible, forward me a screenshot or two so I can have a visual of the matter at hand too?

I'm guessing that you're seeing a permissions issue there but I'd like to be sure about this before I send you any troubleshooting steps. 

Thanks a bunch and welcome to our Community! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Trailhouse
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue.  All of my Dropbox folders are read-only.  I right-click on the top folder and change it to not read-only.  It shows going through all the files and turning them to not read-only.  The I check the folder properties again and they're all read-only again.  I've done this several times.

I've also checked my user permissions and all of the accounts on this computer (Windows 10) has full access.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Trailhouse; thanks for joining our discussion here and sorry to hear about this.

May I have you try to fix the permissions of your files via our desktop app's preferences to see if this improves matters at all?

Here are the steps: 

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray and then click your profile picture or initials

3. Select 'Preferences' or 'Options'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'alt+H' keys

6. Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue though, please repeat steps 1 to 5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Hardlinks” button.

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over so after attempting that, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know of any updates. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Trailhouse
New member | Level 2

I have completed these steps, but the issue continues.  The Dropbox folders all show as Read Only.  When I uncheck it at the top level folder, it runs through unlocking all the files.  Then when I reopen the folders, they are all read-only again.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @Trailhouse; could you also post a screenshot of this so I can have a visual too?

Also, if you'd like to look further into this with account and device specific information, you can contact our support team.

In any case, keep me posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mcwhamster
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have recently started having exactly the same problem, where my Dropbox folders on Windows 10 are set as read-only meaning I'm unable to save over the top of existing file. I have tried all of the options above, but the folders and files always instantly revert back to read-only. Please could I have some help? Many thanks.

Need more support?