Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Folders Not the Same Name When Shared with Team

Level 2

Hi, I have shared folders with my team members and then when I update the folder names, they dont' see the new names. Some of the names on their folders are 3+ years old. Do they need to completely reinstall DB to see the latest folder names?

This isn't the case with files...just folders.

Tags (1)
10 Replies

Re: Folders Not the Same Name When Shared with Team

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, the names of shared folders only change for the individual user, and not for the other members of the shared folders.

In order for them to see the name change to shared folders, you’ll need to unshare the folder completely, rename the folder, and re-share it to those users.

This is the only way they’ll see the new name for the folder.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

I did try this one time, and it didn't work. Do they need to delete the folder off their account too if it doesn't unshare?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
There wouldn’t be a need for that. If you’re the owner and you unshare the folder for all users, then the folder would have to delete itself from their machines. 

The only way they would still have the old folder is if you select ‘Let removed members keep a copy of this shared folder’, in the unshare option. This wouldn’t be a shared folder, but a private copy of the folder on their account.

They would then need to add the ‘new’ shared folder under the correct name, which will have the same files as before.

Let me know if this helps out!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Thank you! I think this should do it. 

Super User II

In the past, I recall this only working if you created a new folder. Simply unsharing the existing folder and renaming it wasn't enough, as Dropbox remembered the previous share name. A completely new folder was needed. Has that changed?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi @Rich, unsharing and resharing a folder completely (not just removing it from your account) would be technically classed as a different shared folder, so the name would change for everyone.

Jay

Level 2

Will this break all the Dropbox folder links if the main shared folder is renamed? I need to rename the shared folder, but I don't want the links previous posted to stakeholders to break.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi @Miss-B, renaming a shared folder is different to shared links and shouldn't affect it.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Level 2

Hi @Jay – I'm referring to shared links to view in a browser. When our creative team passes off files to development, the designers share a Dropbox link to the final files. I just want to make sure the links that have already been shared don't change with the folder renaming. Thanks!

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Folders Not the Same Name When Shared with Team
10 Replies
3 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post