Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Getting DRM warnings when I try to open a.mobi on a Kindle tablet

Level 4

When I put a eBook (.mobi) that I have made on Dropbox then try to open it on my Kindle Fire using the Dropbox app I get a warning that the file is DRM protected and I can't open it. I make the .mobi by exporting an InDesign file to ePub, then run it through the Kindle Previewer 3. I do not enable any kind of privacy or DRM settings. I know it has something to do with Dropbox, because I can place the same file on OneDrive and open on my Kindle with ES File Explorer without any warnings.

Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: Getting DRM warnings when I try to open a.mobi on a Kindle tablet

Dropboxer

Hey there @camppope - sorry to hear about this. 

Could you please provide me with a screenshot of the exact error message you get so I can have a visual too?

Also, are you able to open those files on other devices at all? Do you have the appropriate software to open these .mobi files? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

I can't add a screenshot because everytime I try I get an error message saying "An unexpected error has occurred." But here's the exact wording of the error message from the Kindle Fire: "This item is protected with DRM and cannot be read on your Fire. Please remove the item from your device and download it again or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store." These are not .mobis I have bought. They are .mobis I have made myself and sideloaded onto my Fire via Dropbox, only if I try to open them from Dropbox, I get the warning. If I load them from One Drive via ES File Explorer, then there's no problem.

Dropboxer

I am sorry to hear about this @camppope - have you tried another browser yet to see if this was a browser specific problem?

If this persists across several browsers and still can't attach a screenshot of the exact error you get, you might need to log a ticket with our team  so we can have a look into this internally with all of our tools available.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

I tried a different browser and got the same unexpected error. I could email you the screenshot.

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @camppope

I have reached out to the email address you use for your forum's profile so we can have a look into this together. 

Check your inbox for my email and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation so far. 

Walter

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Getting DRM warnings when I try to open a.mobi on a Kindle tablet
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post