cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make my account public?

How can I make my account public?

3smasTeam
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

And the files undeletable?

Can I keep my email unkown?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cant make your account public, you can, however, make some folders or files public by following https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@3smasTeam wrote:
and inside that folder can I make All files undeletable?

Hello, @3smasTeam...

@Mark has answered your questions, but I'll add my post so you can see first-hand how a shared link works.

I realize that it's hard to know for sure how sharing a link to folders/files will appear to your participants (especially when testing folders/files in your account vs another person's).

For that reason, I make it possible for you to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by YOUR recipients... please feel free to explore my example folder below.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you want to have the same experience as a non-Dropbox user then you should sign out of your Dropbox account or use a different browser.

> SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK EXAMPLE:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents.

Sharing a LINK to a Folder/File in my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

1. You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.
  2. Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

FREE DROPBOX MEMBERS SHOULD BE AWARE:

• There are 20 GB bandwidth limitations set per day.  This means that every file, photo or video that's viewed and/or downloaded counts against your daily allotment.
  • EXAMPLE:  You share a link to a 500 MB video (0.5 GB) and it's viewed 40 times in less than 24 hours, then your 20 GB bandwidth limit for a free Dropbox account has been attained (your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files).
  • Keep in mind that if you share a link with people who in turn shares the link with their friends, especially via social media, then your bandwidth limit could be reached in an hour (not hours).
  • Upgrading to a Plus account will remove the daily 20 GB restriction and will increase it to 200 GB.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cant make your account public, you can, however, make some folders or files public by following https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

3smasTeam
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Yes, because that link is read only - so people can download them and edit them on their computers, but, you wont get any of the changes back.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@3smasTeam wrote:

Hello, @3smasTeam...

@Mark has answered your questions, but I'll add my post so you can see first-hand how a shared link works.

I realize that it's hard to know for sure how sharing a link to folders/files will appear to your participants (especially when testing folders/files in your account vs another person's).

For that reason, I make it possible for you to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by YOUR recipients... please feel free to explore my example folder below.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you want to have the same experience as a non-Dropbox user then you should sign out of your Dropbox account or use a different browser.

> SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK EXAMPLE:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents.

Sharing a LINK to a Folder/File in my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

1. You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.
  2. Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

FREE DROPBOX MEMBERS SHOULD BE AWARE:

• There are 20 GB bandwidth limitations set per day.  This means that every file, photo or video that's viewed and/or downloaded counts against your daily allotment.
  • EXAMPLE:  You share a link to a 500 MB video (0.5 GB) and it's viewed 40 times in less than 24 hours, then your 20 GB bandwidth limit for a free Dropbox account has been attained (your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files).
  • Keep in mind that if you share a link with people who in turn shares the link with their friends, especially via social media, then your bandwidth limit could be reached in an hour (not hours).
  • Upgrading to a Plus account will remove the daily 20 GB restriction and will increase it to 200 GB.

RudeJoe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Link given does not tell how to make a file or folder "public" (unless I missed it somehow).  And what exactly does public mean?  Can anyone out there find it, see it, download, etc?  I'm being asked by a customer to make a file "pubically available on Dropbox" so they don't have to sign in.  I'm a little leery of giving the world access to the file.  Does a shared link allow someone to access a file without signing in, and keep info from the world?  Thanks

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It works exactly as the help links above show.... you create a link to a file or folder and then ANYBODY with that link can access that file. It is not, however, searchable via Google etc. nor is it editable and the only thing they can access is that file/folder nothing else. With paid accounts you can put additional security on links such as a password.

RudeJoe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Okay.  Thanks.  The "public" part was throwing me off.  Thanks again.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Public is the old terminology for how you used to share files - it was within a folder called "Public" hence why it still gets used occasionally.

RudeJoe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Knowing the history helps me understand. Thanks again.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RudeJoe New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?