cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I leave a shared Dropbox folder?

How do I leave a shared Dropbox folder?

Padidto5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My friend invited me to share a 3gb folder she had. I accepted. Now I want to leave the folder and cant. I followed the advice from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoTpNkvPCI

The problem is that no folders appear under 'Sharing' in my Dropbox so I cant remove myself. I also looked for other ways to leave the folder but see no option to remove myself.

Any ideas on how?
Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Padidto5

To remove yourself from the shared folder while you’re a member, try doing so from the website:
  1. Sign in to the website.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Navigate to the shared folder you want to permanently remove from your Dropbox account.
  4. Select the Share button that should appear next to the folder when you hover over it.
  5. Find your name under the list of emails. 
  6. Click on the Can view/Can edit that’s next to your name.
  7. Select Remove my access.
If you’re not seeing this option or you’re still having trouble with this, let me know. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

76 Replies 76

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Padidto5, have you tried removing the shared folder by following the steps outlined here?

Let me know if it helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Padidto5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes and no. My real issue is that I need to delete this 3gb folder as it is eating up all my space. When I have tried to delete folders in the past a series of odd things have happened:
If I am not the folder owner (lie in this case) then dropbox will delete the folder but the space usage remains. If I try to permanently delete the folder from my trash then dropbox says I dont have permission to delete the files (out of my own trash bin!). I  have about 1gb currently of trash I cant permanently delete because the folder owner is someone else.

So this time I wanted to remove myself first.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Padidto5

To remove yourself from the shared folder while you’re a member, try doing so from the website:
  1. Sign in to the website.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Navigate to the shared folder you want to permanently remove from your Dropbox account.
  4. Select the Share button that should appear next to the folder when you hover over it.
  5. Find your name under the list of emails. 
  6. Click on the Can view/Can edit that’s next to your name.
  7. Select Remove my access.
If you’re not seeing this option or you’re still having trouble with this, let me know. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

dooruser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The only options under the Share button are:

• Invite via email
  • Add to Trello

There are 13 members on this folder and I'd really prefer not to contact the owner of the folder if possible.  Thanks.

hansK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I face the same situation: see no option "Remove my access."

what to do?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dooruser and @hansK, I'd be more than happy to help!

To make sure we're on the same page, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you click on the Share button next to the shared folder you're trying to remove your access from? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Redthreadmom
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I am having the same issue. I have MANY files from a shared folder I’d like to remove but can’t see how to do it. These were all shared with me.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Redthreadmom, thanks for checking in with us! 

At first, please note that any files you delete from the shared folder will be removed for every other member as well. 

If you don't want to have access to the shared folder, you can remove yourself by following the steps outlined here

If you're having trouble with this though, please let me know at which point exactly you're getting stuck and I'd be more than happy to help look into it. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

hansK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lusil, can't figure out how to add in the screenshot. But when I hoover the mouse over the folder I like to remove my access to, I don't have the option "Remove my access." in the "Share" popup menu. Only options are: "Invite via email" and "Add to Trello".

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amanda Lamb Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?