Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

9 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

How to delete a shared folder

I have a shared folder and I want to delete it. First, as the owner of the folder, I deleted the other members of the folder. I chosed "Share" - "Can view" - "Remove". After that, I am the only member of the folder. Now I can read - Members: "Only you".2018-11-30_1721.pngThen "Delete" för the folder. What happens? Now I can see the folder under "Shared folders you can add". I want to get rid of it completely!  

I don´t want to re-add it later. How to do?

Best Regards

Kjell Reinedahl

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: For the third time I ask the same question about to delete a shared folder

Hi Kjell, you can unshare a folder completely using these steps. Afterwards you can delete it from the site and then permanently delete the folder and files.

Now if you somehow want the shared folder to remain active for anyone else already on the folder, while removing your access completely, this isn’t possible without transferring the ownership of the folder to an existing member.

Let me know if this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

9 Replies
Level 6

Re: How to delete a shared folder

Try following the steps described here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/leave-shared-folder

Level 3

How can I remove a shared folder, where I am the owner, from my account?

I can’t find the answer of the following question in the ”Help Center”:

How can I, as the owner of a shared folder, delete/remove the folder permanently?

I don´t want to be able to re-add it later and I don´t want to change the owner of this share folder. The following advice will not help:

Permanently remove a folder

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Navigate to the shared folder you want to permanently remove from your Dropbox account.
  4. Click Share next to the folder.
  5. Click the dropdown next to your name.
  6. Click Remove my access.

Best Regards

Kjell

Level 6

Re: How can I remove a shared folder, where I am the owner, from my account?

You can either delete this folder on your desktop. (making sure the dropbox desktop app is running in order to sync the deletion with your account).

Or use the Dropbox web portal to delete it: Click the chebox to the left of the folder name, then click the Delete button on the far right hand side of the screen.

Or use a mobile device to delete the folder: https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/delete-files

Level 3

For the third time I ask the same question about to delete a shared folder

I have got suggestions how to do if I want to delete a shared folder but these suggestions will not help me. 

I have tried to use "Replay"-button but it will not work, so I have to go this way one more time. My question is:

1. I want to completely get rid of a shared folder.

and

2. I don´t want to be able to re-add it later and I don´t want to change the owner of this share folder.

I have read that the only way to manage this is to create a new owner and then I can delete myself from this folder. That means that this folder never can be deleted? Is that correct? My question is then, why is it so?

If I am an owner of something I can throw it away whenever I want. Here it is on the contrary. I don't understand this.

Best Regards

Kjell from Sweden

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Kjell, you can unshare a folder completely using these steps. Afterwards you can delete it from the site and then permanently delete the folder and files.

Now if you somehow want the shared folder to remain active for anyone else already on the folder, while removing your access completely, this isn’t possible without transferring the ownership of the folder to an existing member.

Let me know if this helps!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Dropboxer

Hey Kjell (@kjellr), I’ve moved all your threads under one discussion, just so as to keep things neat on our Forum; I hope my message finds you well! 

Just in order to follow-up from where you've left off on the previous discussion , it may be worth noting that, despite having removed all contributors, the folder technically remains shared. As you’ve mentioned that you’re the Owner & you wish to unshare & delete it, then please reference my steps below: 

Spoiler
You can unshare a folder on dropbox.com following the steps outlined here:
#1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
#2. Click Files.

#3. Navigate to or search for the shared folder you're interested in.
#4. Hover over the folder and click Share.
#5.
Click the settings icon (gear icon).

#6. Click Unshare folder.
#7.
Click Unshare.

(Note: When you unshare a folder, you can let members keep a copy. If you choose this option, be sure to tell the members that the folder is no longer shared, and that edits they make in their copy of the folder won’t sync to anyone else.)

From there, you can delete your folder following these instructions: 
#1. Sign in to dropbox.com & search for the folder you'd like to delete. 
#2. Click "" (ellipsis) beside the file's name.
#3. Click Delete. 
In the event that you’d like to remove this content permanently, please note you can also Permanently delete them. 

I hope that this is the answer you were seeking, though please do let me know if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way or you need further assistance. Thanks again for posting us on the Dropbox Community & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

Level 3

Hey Jane and thank you so very much. The advices under the "Spoiler" helped me. It was not easy to figure out how to do. It´s not an intuitive way to go.

Best regards

Kjell

Level 3

Hi Jay and thank you so very much. The advices you gave me helped me. It was not easy to figure out how to do. It´s not an intuitive way to go.

Best regards

Kjell

Dropboxer

Happy to hear that this has been clarified on your end now Kjell (kjellr) & thanks for sharing your thoughts; we’ve made sure to pass your comments up the ladder for future consideration. 

Thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on our Community & feel free to ping us here again if you have any more thoughts or questions; it will be a pleasure to work with you again in the future. In the meantime, take care & have a relaxed weekend ahead! slightly smiling face

Jane

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Sharing and collaboration.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post