cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to keep comments between versions?

How to keep comments between versions?

LiberGM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is any option to keep comments between versions. I use to share images (web designs) with my clients. They add comments in these files so we can have a collaborative review of each design. After each review, I make changes and I update the files, so a new version is created.

However, the comments made are kept in the old version of each updated file, so when the client clicks on the comment, they go back to the previous file and see the "wrong" design. 

I'd like to have an option to mark comments to be kept through all versions, because they are valid comments and I want to keep the conversation until the final version.

Will it be possible?

Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It isnt possible no, sorry, but its a good suggestion - I'll make sure its passed on.

As a possible work around have you looked at Paper? You can comment and tag individual parts of files and then simply add the new version underneath?

www.dropbox.com/paper

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It isnt possible no, sorry, but its a good suggestion - I'll make sure its passed on.

As a possible work around have you looked at Paper? You can comment and tag individual parts of files and then simply add the new version underneath?

www.dropbox.com/paper

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LiberGM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. I will try Paper for my next project!

However, I would love to see that new feature implemented :wink:

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LiberGM

This is a pretty interesting workflow and I totally get your point (clients will be like "where are the previous comments I made?") and explaining that this is a new file and where the previous comments were may be just as painful as working on the iterations 🙂

I'll send this feedback to our team behind 'comments' to have it on their radar. Thanks for sharing!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Emme
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know this is an old post, but I'm running into the same issue. I want to show my team mate that their comments have been addressed by seeing the new design with the comments, but it looks like it's either one or the other even though the pages of the document are the same.

CypherKun
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same here. I plan to use Dropbox and commention feature to communicate with my private tutor. We use JPG scans of book and write/type/draw over it. After I update file I don't want comments to disapper because, well, you know, it is still the same file with just some extra drawing over it.

There should be an option at least that lets you move comments to newer version of file.

podusa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I also would like to keep comments between versions! I make music for movies and it would be really helpful when changing music on a cue, but keep all other feedback/comments on cues that's not changed

podusa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

(Oops, see now that its an old post. I was trying to suggest this feature for Replay)

Need more support?