cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move a folder from my personal folder to the shared workspace

How to move a folder from my personal folder to the shared workspace

breadwild
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just upgraded to the business account and all of my folders and files were put into what appears to be a personal folder. Within it, there is a folder that I want to be accessible to everyone (I've created a company folder). How do I move it out of my personal and into the company folder (shared workspace)?

Note: I see how I can move that folder with in my personal folder but not out of it and into the public area.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I am sorry I wasn't able to open any of the links you provided @breadwild.

Therefore, I reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile so we can work on this together. 

Take a look at your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @breadwild - how are you today?

Team members and admins may move a shared folder into the team space as long as the following requirements are met: 

1. The user has edit access to the folder they are trying to move. To check this, follow these steps:
    a. Click “Manage” to the right of the folder
    b. See “Can edit” to the right of the individual user or group

2. The “Manage access” setting is set to “Folder members”. To check this, follow the steps below:
    a. Click “Manage” to the right of the folder
    b. Click “Folder settings”
    c. See “Folder members” from the dropdown next to “Manage access”

3. The folder is owned by someone on the same team as the user who is moving it into the team space.

Please note that moving a folder to the top level of the shared space is only allowed if the setting which allows top level folder editing has been enabled. If you are an admin and wish to allow other members of your team to move folders into the top level of your team's space, you can update the setting on the following page in the Admin Console: https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/settings/management

Let me know if this helped please!

[Edit: I wanted to add something to clarify things further. Dropbox Business users’ member folders (the purple folder that shares their name) is each user’s own space to store and organize content that may not belong in the team space. It’s a good place to store works-in-progress, or information that is only relevant to you. 

Member folders are also where users will store shared folders that are shared with them from outside of their Dropbox Business team.]

Walter
dropbox.com/support

breadwild
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Walter but not sure I was clear.

As a single user before moving to the Business platform, I had a folder of all client files. Now that I have team members I want to move that client folder out of the personal folder (I guess Dropbox did this as part of the upgrade).

See this screen shot: https://highgatecreative.d.pr/EHraFD

How do I actually move it? The "Move" option to the right of the client folder only shows other folders in my personal space.

Thanks for your patience.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @breadwild - much appreciated.

Sorry to ask - are you the owner of the folder in question?

If you’re the owner of a shared folder, you can move it into your team space. The shared folder will now be shared with anyone who has access to the folder’s destination, as well as any original members. 

Because moving a shared folder into the team space transfers ownership of the folder to your Dropbox Business team, only shared folder owners are permitted to move them into the team space.

If you’re not the owner, you can ask the owner to transfer ownership to you. For detailed instructions on how to do this, visit:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/change-shared-folder-owner

Keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

breadwild
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Walter, I must not be communicating. Here's a 15 sec video that show what I want to do. I don't really think it has much to do with ownership, but maybe I'm completely missing something or over complicating it. The question is HOW to move it? Drag and drop it on my desktop? 

Video: https://highgatecreative.d.pr/xE1ACp

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I am sorry I wasn't able to open any of the links you provided @breadwild.

Therefore, I reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile so we can work on this together. 

Take a look at your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mdm479
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same exact issue.  Why isn't there an easy solution.  I want to move my personal file to the shared team folders.  I own the personal folders that were upgraded to dropbox business.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What exact error are you getting @mdm479? Could you share a screenshot so I can have a better understanding of the matter at hand? 

Since you're the Admin, have you ensured that all of the requirements I quoted above are met through your Admin's Console (linked below)?

https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/settings/management

Feel free to add any information that might help our investigation too.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SAHlu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having the same problem. A client shared a folder with our office, and I am the administrator of our dropbox account, but I am not being allowed to put this folder in our team space so that we can work on it together. Please tell us how to move a folder from my personal pink folder to the team space. I am permitted to edit the folder, but I am not the owner. This should not matter because it was shared with our office. I am not going to ask the client to transfer ownership to me so that my staff can work on his project. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this @SAHlu.

As you're not the owner of this folder, at this point, you'll need to re-create it within your team space and then copy/move the files there. 

If the owner of the original folder is not a member of your team, please review my previous suggestions on this very same post. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    unhotelier New member | Level 2
    Trailerman Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?