cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unshare a file/folder in shared folder?

How to unshare a file/folder in shared folder?

Bubo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I have shared a project folder, but some files/folders in that folder shouldn´t be shared with others. How to ushare these files in shared folder?

If I go to Share-File settings-Unshare file-Save-Everyone will be removed from this file. You’ll still keep a copy of this file in your Dropbox. Unshare...then nothing happen and it seems to be still shared.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Bubo wrote:

I have shared a project folder, but some files/folders in that folder shouldn´t be shared with others. How to ushare these files in shared folder?

You can't unshare individual files or subfolders within a shared folder. If you share a folder, the people invited to the folder have access to everything within the folder. You can set their access to Edit or View-only for the entire share, but there are no other controls for unsharing a portion of a shared folder.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Bubo!

Could you confirm if you’re the owner of the shared folder? Are you seeing the folder with the two little people in the middle? 

Also, have you tried switching browsers, using incognito/private browsing mode, and ensuring that you’re not running any extensions? If you’re still having trouble with it, could you please send a screenshot with what you’re seeing (omitting any personal info)?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Bubo wrote:

You can't unshare individual files or subfolders within a shared folder. If you share a folder, the people invited to the folder have access to everything within the folder. You can set their access to Edit or View-only for the entire share, but there are no other controls for unsharing a portion of a shared folder.

Bubo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you for answer. There is another question, why is not possible to unshare individual files in shared folder?:-) Now I must change all folder structure. 😞

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Bubo wrote:
... why is not possible to unshare individual files in shared folder?

It wasn't designed to work that way. When a folder is shared, the recipients have access to the folder and everything in it. If you need to share a folder but exclude spcific items within it, you need to move those items out of the folder.

Floriaan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It does not make sense. I want to share a whole project with my client, but not the financial information. So either the client gets a bunch of unrelated shared folders and it looks like a big mess, or we have to make separate folders outside the shared folders. 

In other words this is a huge feature request.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Floriaan New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Bubo Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?