cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I can see my colleagues' updates on my account online correctly, though they don't sync on my pc.

CV2 Level 2
Level 2

I have a shared folder which I can see on dropbox.com however it wont sync with my file folder on my PC. There are several other which can see it this way on their computers. I use Windows 10 (HP). 

I have tried signing out, restarting, having the link re-sent. 

Any ideas?  

Thank you! 

3 Replies

Re: File Sharing

Dropboxer
Hey there (@CV2), I’m wondering if your colleagues are seeing the files correctly on a Mac. If so, you may have a look here for some tips, though let me repeat below for convenience’s sake: 

Spoiler
#1. Assuming that you’re running the latest stable version of the application on your Mac (61.4.95), you’ve made all OS updates & you’re not using Symlinks, it’s also advisable to make sure Dropbox is syncing correctly on your menu bar, as below: 

system-tray.png

Once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status(eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c) Arrows Counter Clock/ White check mark. What does the message there read for you?

#2. If all the settings above are applied correctly & Dropbox is syncing as expected, then the discrepancy you’re seeing could be related to the filenames, as one or more of your files may contain an incompatible character in their name or path. Certain characters can be used on some operating systems, but not others.

Your files are on the Dropbox website, they just can't be sent to a computer that can't handle those characters. You can use Dropbox's "Bad Files Check" webpage to determine which files are not syncing due to incompatibilities & in most cases you should be able to resolve the incompatibility by simply renaming the file and omitting the illegal characters. (Extra tip: Here’s a list of known incompatibilities and illegal characters)

From there, as you've mentioned that you've already tried unlinking & relinking your account to your desktop, can you also clarify how you're sending yourself the link, so as to make sure I'm following-up with you correctly? (Note: The steps above apply to a shared folder, so please do let me know here if I've misunderstood the issue in any way.)

If that persists, please do let me know on this discussion & I’ll make sure to investigate what’s happening in more depth. I’ll be awaiting your next update here & I’m wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

I am the owner of the shared folder but I cannot see them on my PC(link to PC already)

Level 2

I am the owner of the shared folder. My friend make a new folder inside the shared folder. However, I cannot see the files inside the folder. I can only see the folder. I checked if there is any problem with my sync. However, it is sync and link with my PC. I can the files at dropbox.com but not my PC.  

What should I do?  

Thank you. 

Re: I am the owner of the shared folder but I cannot see them on my PC(link to PC already)

Dropboxer
Hey there (@nmag), I’ve moved your post under this discussion, in order to ping you on my previous reply to the OP that could be useful. Please have a look at my suggestions & pointers at your convenience & let me know how my hints work for you whenever you get a chance.

From there, if all above checks indicate that there isn’t a syncing issue, then I’d suspect that an incompatible character in the folder is the culprit, so I’d suggest using Dropbox's "Bad Files Check" webpage to determine which files are not syncing because of that. In most cases you should be able to resolve the incompatibility by simply renaming the file & omitting the illegal characters. (Extra tip: These pointers may help you shed you some more light on the possible cause.) 

Hopefully this is helps you fix that soon & I’ll be awaiting your next update on this discussion. Happy Friday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can see my colleagues' updates on my account online correctly, though they don't sync on my pc.
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post