cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question about the sharing approvals. Can you help?

I have a question about the sharing approvals. Can you help?

ScubaBob
Explorer | Level 4

I have been a Dropbox user for many years and have shared folders many times during that period.  It used to be that when I shared a folder the recipient would recieve an email, click on the link and go right to the shared folder.  But that changed a short while back. Now, whenever I share a folder, to ANYONE, when they click on the link (even within 30 minutes of the file being shared) I get an email from Dropbox that says, "Joe (joe@xyx.com) would like access to this shared folder. Approve this request to let them see and edit this folder. Approving won't take up any additional space in your Dropbox." (Joe and email address were used to cover up actual contact) . Why do I need to give them access to the shared folder when I already gave them access.  This happens to 100% of the people I share a folder with.  Real pain in the butt as I am not always around to approve the share request when I receive it.  Why?

10 Replies 10

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ScubaBob

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

Could you have a loook at this resource and let me know if the email you're receiving comes from an official Dropbox domain

Let me know the sender's email address in your reply & we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ScubaBob
Explorer | Level 4

it comes from no-reply@dropbox.com.

Dropbox 3.jpgDropbox.jpgdropbox2.jpg

DH2
New member | Level 2

This same thing happened to me yesterday. I shared 1 file with 18 people and suddenly no one can get it. I have to approve each person. WHY????

ScubaBob
Explorer | Level 4

After over a month at dealing with people at Dropbox about this I learned that this is part of their new Two-Step security which is a total pain in the butt.  This was the stupidest solution to a possible problem that they could have come up with. I suggested a few alternatives. First, make the person sharing use two-step authentication to log-into the Dropbox site. They could use a third party app such as Authenticator which is what many of the crypto-currency exchanges use.  Or better yet, AFTER the person sharing clicks the "share" button on dropbox.com the emails to the recipients are suspended.  Dropbox then sends a confiming email to the sender asking: Did you share your folder, ______, with  ______, _____, etc."  The sharer clicks on the link to authorize the share and then the email invitations are sent to the recipients. That way the recipients are not bothered.  This new system sucks.  I shared a folder with 10 people and then went to the airport. While I was traveling they all needed to view the folder contents but could not do so until I landed and got the confirming messges so no work got done--great customer centric security system, Dropbox.

DH2
New member | Level 2

Thank you for that information. Really appreciate it! I LOVE Dropbox. Really do. But I'm guessing this won't change until enough people complain to Dropbox.

ScubaBob
Explorer | Level 4

I like Dropbox a lot, too and use it often. This "solution" reminded me of the adage that a camel was a horse put together by a committee.  Dropbox's idea was correct but the solution is wrong.  Hopefully they will come up with a simpler solution, two of which I proposed.  I happen to like the idea of a confirming email being sent to me by Dropbox before sending the invitations.  I use Authenticator but it is a bit too technology "heavy" for a mundane issue such as sharing files.  If it involves money, finances, personal information, etc. then Authenticator is fine.

Gradvlax
New member | Level 2

I have invited 43 people to view and download a shared folder - but not edit.  Why have I received this auto generated email from one person via no-reply@dropbox.com:

".......(name).......would like access to this shared folder. Approve this request to let them see and edit this folder. Approving won't take up any additional space in your Dropbox"

No one else has had to request access - they can access the folder.  Has this person accidently requested additional privileges? When I followed the link to "grant access", I can see at the top under the folder heading that their name is already in the list. Do I need to invite them again for them to access the folder? Seems dumb when they are already invited. What's going on?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Gradvlax, happy Monday! 

Is there any chance that the user you invited has two Dropbox accounts, under a similar email address? 

I would appreciate some screenshots (omitting any personal info if you can) so I can have a visual of this.

Can you double check, and keep me posted? 

Cheers!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Gradvlax
New member | Level 2

Hi Lori, I have sent them a new invite through a gmail.com extension rather than using googlemail.com - their suggestion. WIll see. In the mean time I have another person who has been refused access. Person 2 doesn't have a Dropbox account (apparently) so I emailed them a direct download link to the same folder that I have 'shared' with everyone else - this seemed the only way to enable them to get the contents of the folder without them having to sign up to a Dropbox account. But they received the message: 

"You don't have access

You can ask the person who shared the link to invite you directly. Just so you know, you're signed in as ........(email address)"

Does this mean they have a Dropbox account?  The email address on the error message was different from the one I emailed the invite to.

many thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Gradvlax New member | Level 2
    ScubaBob Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?