Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I'm not seeing the Dropbox Badge on my Office files

Level 4

This has been asked millions of times, but I still don't have a good answer.

I have latest Dropbox app installed on my Windows 7 PC, using Office 2010. Preferences are set to "Always show" Dropbox Badge. Yet I NEVER have seen the badge when opening an Office file that is stored in my fully synced Dropbox folder. It doesn't show even if I open a file on dropbox.com and edit it with the online versions of Office.

I've read and re-read the standard help file that lays out all the requirements for the badge, but still no luck.

And when I am editing such a file in Office, my colleagures who CAN normally see the badge, say they do not have any notification that I have it open. So it seems like my dropbox apparently is not connecting live to the cloud (even though it appears to sync normally).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
8 Replies

Re: Dropbox badge

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, are you opening Office files that are in shared folders only? Is the Dropbox desktop application running and your internet connection online when doing so?

Just so you know, the Badge is only for the desktop app version of Office, and not for Office Online, which doesn’t have that feature.

Have you checked the requirements here to ensure that the Badge works?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

Thanks for the quick response Jay.

Yes, I've checked all of the requirements, and yes to all of your other questions. Still no sign of a badge anywhere, whether it's Word, Excel or Powerpoint.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Have you whitelisted all of the official domains used by Dropbox? Could you also try opening the ports listed here in your firewall to see if they help with getting the badge to appear?

Lastly, try an advanced reinstall of the app to see if this repairs any potential issues with the app itself.

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

Yes, it appears to be a firewall issue.

Thanks for your help.

Level 4

Sorry, reopening this discussion (I am the OP).

Updated conclusion is that there is nothing wrong with my firewall as other users in my office can see the badge. But I cannot.

Is anyone aware of any settings in Office or Windows that would affect whether the Dropbox badge can be seen? I'm using Office 2010 on a Windows 2007 machine, the badge does not appear when I open an Office document. At least one other colleague uses Office 2010 on a Windows 2010 machine, he can see the badge without problems. So now I'm thinking it's a Windows 2007 issue? (I have all the updates.)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for updating me on this matter. 

In order to investigate further, would it be okay if we reach out to your email address associated with your forum profile?

Jay

Level 4

Jay, yes that would be fine.

I know I keep changing the description, but after some more testing with other machines in various locations, I'm now pretty sure that the issue has to do with my specific Office installation (I'm using Office Professional Plus 2010, 32-bit version).

One suspicious thing I just noticed: In Excel, if I go to the Add-Ins dialog, there is a checkmark next to Dropbox.OfficeAddIn Class. But if I go to the general Excel Options dialog and click on Add-Ins, it's listed under "Inactive Application Add-ins". I've tried toggling the checkmark in the Add-Ins dialog on and off, but it makes no difference; it continues to be listed as Inactive.

Level 4

Another update:

Under COM Add-Ins, the Dropbox addinis not listed. If I try to add DropboxOfficeAddIn.13.dll, it still doesn't show up in the COM Add-in list. I think this may be the root of the issue.

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm not seeing the Dropbox Badge on my Office files
8 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post