cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues - updated July 19th see more

I removed members but folder is still shown as shared. Why?

SOLVED
Go to solution
1 Comment
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 3

I removed members but folder is still shown as shared. Why?

I have removed all the members from a folder which was shared before. Even after removing all the members the folder still is treated as a shared folder. The share folder icon is still there. If I want to share a parent it gives an error message : This folder can only be shared as a link because it contains a shared folder. I think this issue need to be fixed. 

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Sharing status issue

Hey there @spaul - sorry to hear about this.

Can you tell me the exact steps you take to do this as I am not able to reproduce this on my end? Once I unshared the folder it became a normal folder immediately (without the 2 little people icon on it). 

Moreover, currently, there's no way to share a folder that already contains a shared folder.

One workaround is to share a link to the parent folder of the shared subfolder. While this would give recipients of the link access to all folders in that path, any changes they make to files in that folder won't sync with your Dropbox. If you'd like to give them read-write access to the parent folder instead, you can unshare the subfolder, share the parent folder, and then share a link to the subfolder.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thank you. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

1 Reply
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Sharing status issue

Hey there @spaul - sorry to hear about this.

Can you tell me the exact steps you take to do this as I am not able to reproduce this on my end? Once I unshared the folder it became a normal folder immediately (without the 2 little people icon on it). 

Moreover, currently, there's no way to share a folder that already contains a shared folder.

One workaround is to share a link to the parent folder of the shared subfolder. While this would give recipients of the link access to all folders in that path, any changes they make to files in that folder won't sync with your Dropbox. If you'd like to give them read-write access to the parent folder instead, you can unshare the subfolder, share the parent folder, and then share a link to the subfolder.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thank you. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4933
Mark 3902
Jane 1121
Greg K. 830
Tom_M 886