cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to use Dropbox to host my Database. Any ideas?

I want to use Dropbox to host my Database. Any ideas?

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I use Dropbox to hold a hierarchy of files in folders pertaining to the history of a place. I have publicly shared the whole thing. I’m interested in making it more useful by having a way that users could search on characteristics, like a database.

For example, By entering “photograph”, “Baker Farm”, “Buildings”, etc., they could locate photos of that location and feature. The whole thing is about 60 gigabytes, so it’s not feasible for people to download the whole thing. It would need to be a program that they could download and apply to the data in Dropbox.

Does such a thing exist? Is it feasible?

If you are interested, my data is at 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d35lfmirvwfv7za/%21%21%20Archive%20Home%20Page.pdf?dl=0

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'd strongly suggest getting professional help TVZ - and note that Dropbox really isnt the way to do this not matter how much you'd love it to be (or I want to say it is!)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

There are plenty of database systems out there that would handle this perfectly, no need to bolt a half assed solution onto Dropbox.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Sorry if I'm stupid, Richard--What I'm wondering is if there is a way to apply the database to my 60 gigs online in Dropbox so everyone can utilize it without having to download the whole 60 gigabytes.

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

What you want to do is find a solution which indexes the content in Dropbox and allows you to query those indices - there are many ways to do this, depending on what your platform options are.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

However, I don't even know what a platform option is...

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'd strongly suggest getting professional help TVZ - and note that Dropbox really isnt the way to do this not matter how much you'd love it to be (or I want to say it is!)

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Ok, thnx Mark. Maybe that's what I needed to know.

Now about that "professional" help--is that a euphemism for psychiatric ;-]  ?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Only if I can join you - they may do a buy one get one free deal 🙂

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

I'd be happy to chat professionally if you take up Marks advice 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard P. Super User alumni
    Mark Super User II
    Tom V Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?