cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images suddenly no longer visible?

Images suddenly no longer visible?

glenfiddich1983
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm new to this forum but have been using Dropbox (the paid version) for years now, and until now without any problems.

I use dropbox not only for backup but also to host images on forums and on my blog.

Images are placed in this format, for example:

[removed]

(between image tags)

Until recently this works, but today I noticed that all the pictures are dead when I visit my blog on my PC, and also pictures I placed on forums are no longer visible.

Weird thing is on my iPhone they still work. But maybe that's because dropbox is installed on the iPhone.

Is something wrong with dropbox or with did they change policy on who has access to a link?

When I visit the dropbox site and check the link properties it still says that "anyone with the link" has access.

Or can you guys still see my pictures on a PC and is my PC the problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Using ?dl=1 at the end of a link forces the file to download. You want to use ?raw=1 instead.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

glenfiddich1983
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
By the way when I click on the example link I used in the previous post I can download the image.
But on my blog it just doesn't show up.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The way links are processed has been changed.

See https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/public-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

glenfiddich1983
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply but I don't understand this. Does this mean that sharing an image so I can use that picture on my website is no longer possible?

glenfiddich1983
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have read the link about the way dropbox changed how they handle links over and over again, but I don't get it.

My only conclusion is that it should work the way I use it. All the images I host on my site have links that I manually generated in Internet Explorer by right clicking on them and selecting "Copy dropbox link". Just like Dropbox explains here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/view-only-access

I never used public folders or stuff like that, I always use "shared links" and the way I understand it this should work.

So why suddenly did it stop working, and how do I make it start working again in such a way what I can put the link to an image between image tags on my website and the image will show up to the visitors of the site?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Using ?dl=1 at the end of a link forces the file to download. You want to use ?raw=1 instead.

glenfiddich1983
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry for not replying, I was away for a couple of days.

Thanks Rich, putting ?raw=1 at the end of the link was the solution! :sunglasses:

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

bourgom
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I open a drop box folder on my pc all I get is an icon instead of the photo itself.  How can I fix this?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @bourgom!

Can you provide some more information on this or share a screenshot so we can have a visual of the problem you described as well? Also, can you let me know if you are running the latest stable version of our desktop app ( currently 52.4.60) ? What does it say when you hover your mouse over the little Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock (it should say "Up to date" to be fully synced). 

Moreover, can you see the file when you access your account via the website instead of your computer? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

glenfiddich1983 Explorer | Level 4
    ginfires New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    bourgom New member | Level 2
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?