cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I change users' access to a shared folder?

How to I change users' access to a shared folder?

hstodd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do we withdraw shared access to files from previous invitees? I want to edit (reduce) the members who can access one set of folders. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Log on to dropbox in browser and navigate to the folders you want to restrict access to. Click on "members" and change the view/edit rights, or remove a user entirely.

If you are using dropbox for desktop, right-click on the shared folder and select Share, then do as above.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Log on to dropbox in browser and navigate to the folders you want to restrict access to. Click on "members" and change the view/edit rights, or remove a user entirely.

If you are using dropbox for desktop, right-click on the shared folder and select Share, then do as above.

hstodd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks groundhog. Selecting 'share' was counterintuitive when wanting to unshare, but that's where the options are. Problem solved 🙂

amirim
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to follow your advice but get the message: "You don’t have permission to manage membership of this folder". Note that I am a Team Admin.

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution
Hello,

Can you see if you are listed as "Owner" for the folder in question? I get a similar message "You don’t have permission to change the settings on this folder" for the folders that I don't formally "own" if the settings there are restricted.

joelkatana
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i have the same issue. I am not able to share a folder. Folder is only shared between 2 people only. And both of them are not listed as owners. One of them are listed as "can edit" with a drop down menu. While the other is listed as "can edit" without a dropdown menu.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @joelkatana

Could you please further elaborate a bit so that I have a better understanding of what you’re seeing? 

For example, what steps are you following when you attempt to share the folder? Are you getting any errors? If you are seeing an error, could you please send me a screenshot (without personal info) of what the message reads?

Additionally, you mention:

@joelkatana wrote:

One of them are listed as "can edit" with a drop down menu. While the other is listed as "can edit" without a dropdown menu.

Could you send me one more screenshot (again, without any sensitive details showing) so that I have a better visual of this?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    joelkatana New member | Level 2
    groundhog Super User alumni
    amirim New member | Level 2
    hstodd New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?