cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name conflict on shared Excel worksheet

Name conflict on shared Excel worksheet

LoicMonteil
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello there,

The below email has been sent to Microsoft 2 days ago and they advised to contact Dropbox.

Hope Dropbox experts are able to understand the cause of the issue.

"Having a couple of issues with an Excel file shared on Dropbox among colleagues of mine.

Everyday, either a colleague or myself will be editing the worksheet and saving it in a Dropbox for further use from other colleagues or myself.

Every time there is a modification in the file, a new copy of the file will be saved on the date of the day to have backups. Every week, the folder including different copies of the file at different dates will cleared up so old copies will be placed in an archive and the most recent file will be kept in the folder for further use.

All the users are on Excel 2016 Mac version 16.10

We have been using the file for one year + and recently my colleague is having a pop-up window whenever she needs to open the file: 

"Name conflict

Name cannot be the same as a built-in name.

Old name: _FilterDatabase

New name: 'field where I can write'

"

I have tried to fix the issue by following the below steps that I thought could fix the issue or that I found on the net:

- Copied/pasted the entire content of each tab in the file in a complete new file

- Removed all filters

- Tried to create a new name and the problem is fixed until we re-open the file

- Tried to press 'cancel' on the 'Name conflict' pop-up window. Another pop-up window will show

"Alert 

We found a problem with some content in the 'filename.xlsx'. Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

I click 'Yes' and the Name conflict pop-up window shows up, I click 4 times on 'cancel' and finally the spreadsheet opens with

"Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content" I then click Delete.

The file is usable UNTIL someone else saves a new version on top of it...

- Tried to send a copy of the file through email but the issue persists

Very disappointing issue and clearly avoids us to work properly.

Wish a Microsoft technician could help me with this issue which is extremely inconvenient.

"

Following to this message, I have created a copy of the file in .xls format and it is working without issue. However, I am willing to use .xlsx format as we used to.

Thank you in advance, regards,

Loïc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

LoicMonteil
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello there,

Finally solved the issue!

Here is how to solve the issue:

- Open the file by creating a new name (?). My version works on my computer, it's on a colleague's one that it shows the name conflict issue

- Press fn + option + F11 on Mac OR Alt + F11 on Windows

- Right click on the tab you are having issues with in the list on the left

- Click on 'display the code' (using French version so not sure what the English version would be)

- Paste the code below in the window that appears in the center

- Run the code by clicking on the run button

- A window will pop out, click delete for all issues

- Once done close the window and save the file

- Close the file and reopen

Code:

Sub DELRNG()

Dim rNme As Name

On Error Resume Next

For Each rNme In ActiveWorkbook.Names

If (MsgBox("Delete the name? " & rNme.Name, vbYesNo) = vbYes) Then

rNme.Delete

End If

Next

On Error GoTo 0

End Sub

Hope it helps solving the problem for others.

Regards,

Loïc

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It's funny that Miscrosoft sent you to Dropbox for this as it's quite obviously a Miscrosoft issue, and has nothing to do with Dropbox. Just searching Google for Name cannot be the same as a built-in name and you'll find many topics that discuss the issue and explain why it's happening. The one below is a good start, but I'd suggest you perform the same search and read the rest as well.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @LoicMonteil, welcome to our forum! 

To be honest, I’m surprised that the MS guys weren’t able to assist, as these errors seem to be coming from their app, and I’m sorry to say, that it doesn’t sound like it’s an issue caused on our end. 

If only one of your colleagues is having the issue, then I would take a closer look at her computer. Check for any recent changes like operating system or application updates, software additions or changes, etc. 

The way you’ve described the error message, it sounds like there may be some content in the excel file itself that is causing these issues. 

Another thing that’s catching my eye is the fact that you’re clicking on Cancel four times, to get to open the file. What is the other option here? Why are you clicking Cancel instead of the other option? You may be skipping a crucial step here. 

You also mention that the file works fine in .xls format. If this is the case, it may just have to be that you keep it in this older format. 

Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

LoicMonteil
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for your inputs.

Will contact back MS and will let you know.

LoicMonteil
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello there,

Finally solved the issue!

Here is how to solve the issue:

- Open the file by creating a new name (?). My version works on my computer, it's on a colleague's one that it shows the name conflict issue

- Press fn + option + F11 on Mac OR Alt + F11 on Windows

- Right click on the tab you are having issues with in the list on the left

- Click on 'display the code' (using French version so not sure what the English version would be)

- Paste the code below in the window that appears in the center

- Run the code by clicking on the run button

- A window will pop out, click delete for all issues

- Once done close the window and save the file

- Close the file and reopen

Code:

Sub DELRNG()

Dim rNme As Name

On Error Resume Next

For Each rNme In ActiveWorkbook.Names

If (MsgBox("Delete the name? " & rNme.Name, vbYesNo) = vbYes) Then

rNme.Delete

End If

Next

On Error GoTo 0

End Sub

Hope it helps solving the problem for others.

Regards,

Loïc

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I’m glad that you figured this out! Thanks for sharing your solution with us here. 

Cheers :sunglasses:

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    LoicMonteil Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?