cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Open with option doesn't show "open with microsoft word" only shows "open with microsoft word online

Open with option doesn't show "open with microsoft word" only shows "open with microsoft word online"

That is true for word documents and xls files.

All those files I am mentioning are synced on my computer.

I have a business account, and my admin has no clue whether the issue is with admin settings.

I want to open them in my OS Microsoft Word, not the online version.

Thanks!

3 Replies

Re: Open with option doesn't show "open with microsoft word" only shows "open with mi

Dropboxer

Hey there @Jacopo-options,  sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you try another browser (or an incognito window without any plugins or extensions running) and let me know if you still notice the same behavior? Do you by any chance get a 'download' option? 

While you're at it, could you check if the desktop app is running on your computer? Is it "Up to date" or still syncing changes?  

Any additional information will be much appreciated as it'll help narrow down what could be causing this. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Open with option doesn't show "open with microsoft word" only shows "open with mi

Hi Walter,

Thanks a million for the very fast reply.

Sorry I didn't mention the browser. it's firefox.

The app is running and it says "up to date".

Just opened it in firefox incognito window and I get the same.

Yes I get a download option: there's a 3 dots button on the side of the "open with" button and when I click on the 3 dots the download option is there.

I just opened it in google chrome and now the options "open with excel 2016" appears! wonderful!

any chance you'd know how to make it happen on firefox (I prefer it vs. chrome)?

Dropboxer

Sorry for the tardy response @Jacopo-options; I hope my message finds you well!

As per your last query, I'd suggest taking a look below as another user has provided a great way to achieve this. 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/I-don-t-have-the-Open-button-when-using-Firefox/...

I hope this helps and please let me know if you come up with any additional questions.

Have a wonderful weekend! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Open with option doesn't show "open with microsoft word" only shows "open with microsoft word online
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post