cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Order of files in a folder - can it be client-controlled?

Level 2

Is there a way to change the order of photos or mp3s (or any type of file) in a folder that is not based on Dropbox's parameters?  In other words, in an order the client chooses, not a predetermined order based on creation date, upload date or name?  I have photos of a play that need to be ordered by scene, and another folder with mp3 files that need to be listed by title, but appear in the order in which they appear on the album.  I can't seem to drag and drop within the folder.

4 Replies

Re: Order of files in a folder - can it be client-controlled?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Kat, currently this isn’t possible since only the normal sorting options are available.

If you need files in a specific order, then the easiest option is to put numbers in front of the files, such as 01, 02, and so on. In alphabetical order, the files will be listed in numerical order. 

Hope this info helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi Jay,

Thanks for clarifying!  That's what I feared.  Do you know if there are any plans to remedy this?  A drag-and-drop system of ordering files would be so much better.  Professionally, it's very awkward to have to title files by '01, 02' etc., both for the one uploading (One of my folders has 299 files and I'd have to order, retitle and reupload them all) and the client downloading, who can't then find those files by what they are, but rather has to either remember their arbitrary number, or delete the numbers from the file names after download.  In other words, it's cumbersome for everyone.

Thanks again for your help!

Super User II

@KatBishop wrote:

Do you know if there are any plans to remedy this?

Dropbox doesn't discuss features that they may or may not have planned. We generally won't know about a feature until it's released.

That being said, it's unlikely that they'd make such a change. Dropbox works similar to a regular files system on your computer, and no file system allows you to sort files in that manner. You're typically limited to sorting by name, date, type, etc, and ordering ascending or descending. Allowing the type of sorting you want would be a major change in how Dropbox works (not to mention the amount of code and database entries to track that for half a billion people!), and I just don't see them doing it.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I understand how you feel. We’re not aware if this is in the pipeline for future changes made to the service, however I can forward this as a suggestion to our dev team for their consideration!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Order of files in a folder - can it be client-controlled?
4 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post