Announcements
Pledging our support for Water! Read more

Orphaned Folder

3 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 3

Orphaned Folder

Anyone know if Dropbox support admins can add an owner to a folder that has been orphaned (has no owner) in a team, and therefore all additional shares are View only.

I have 5 tickets open with DropBox Support, and its been 3 weeks, maybe I can get the answer here, so I can start the process of creating a new folder, then moving all the files, then adding everyone back to the share.

PS:  Support told me in 2 seperate situations that my ticket was not escalated...so ive lost faith in them.

PPS:  They dont have any supervisors on duty ever to speak to.

3 Replies
Super User II

Re: Orphaned Folder

ajames wrote:

Anyone know if Dropbox support admins can add an owner to a folder that has been orphaned (has no owner) in a team, and therefore all additional shares are View only.

No, they can't. You'll need to create a new folder, move the data into and re-invite the members that need access.

I have 5 tickets open with DropBox Support, and its been 3 weeks

The multiple tickets is likely part of the problem. opening multiple tickets will just slow down the response times. It's been stated in the past that each ticket you open puts you at the back of the queue (whether or not this is still accurate, I do not know).

They do, actually, if you have an account that includes phone/chat support. Dropbox for Business accounts have such support. Basic and Pro accounts do not, and must use the ticket system.

Level 3

Hi Rich, thanks for the prompt response!  Do you work for Dropbox?

No, they can't. You'll need to create a new folder, move the data into and re-invite the members that need access.

Is this a 100% for sure?  Our tickets are still open, no response as of yet stating NO, so not sure what to do right now, and how much longer to wait.  I would hate to start the process of moving all files to a new folder, etc. then find out that someone was trying to add access in the background.

I have 5 tickets open with DropBox Support, and its been 3 weeks

The multiple tickets is likely part of the problem. opening multiple tickets will just slow down the response times. It's been stated in the past that each ticket you open puts you at the back of the queue (whether or not this is still accurate, I do not know).

I only opened 1 ticket, the support person opened a new ticket everytime I called in for an update.  I asked them why, and they said that is their procedure, not sure if its limitations with the ticketing software they are using for escalation.  But each time i called, they stated that the ticket was NOT escalated, and that NOW they are escalating.

My ticket numbers are 5172671, 5178669, 5220577, 5283438, 5346753 - Hopefully at least 1 of those got escalated

They do, actually, if you have an account that includes phone/chat support. Dropbox for Business accounts have such support. Basic and Pro accounts do not, and must use the ticket system.

This is a Dropbox for Business account, and each person I spoke to said that it is not possible to speak to a Supervisor.  Period.

Dropboxer

Hi there,

Your tickets have been followed up offline. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Vicky

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face