cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent File Sharing

Prevent File Sharing

RadarDKMC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have Dropbox Plus and it has come to my attention that the link I sent to one individual was copied and sent to an individual I did not give access to.  That individual is able to view my documents without my permission.  How do I prevent this from happening?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cant I'm afraid - everything on the internet (not just Dropbox) is shareable if they have the link. So, the only way to stop it is to make sure the other person doesnt pass it on.

You could add passwords etc. to the link or file, but, that doesnt stop the other person sending it.

You could also put it in a Shared Folder and restrict sharing on the folder, but, the other person just needs to make a copy of the file and they can share that. Or, even if you do all of the above the first person could quite easily download the file and reshare it without you knowing via a shared link they make.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You need a Professional or Business account in order to set a password or expiration on a share link. Remember, in addition to what Mark has stated above, there's nothing stopping a person from sharing not only your link, but the password for that link as well.

As soon as you share something with someone else, you lose total control of it. That's nothing to do with Dropbox. It's just a fact of sharing, on any platform.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cant I'm afraid - everything on the internet (not just Dropbox) is shareable if they have the link. So, the only way to stop it is to make sure the other person doesnt pass it on.

You could add passwords etc. to the link or file, but, that doesnt stop the other person sending it.

You could also put it in a Shared Folder and restrict sharing on the folder, but, the other person just needs to make a copy of the file and they can share that. Or, even if you do all of the above the first person could quite easily download the file and reshare it without you knowing via a shared link they make.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

RadarDKMC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I restrict sharing of the folder?  Do I have to have Dropbox Pro? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
See https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/shared-links

And you'll need a Professional or higher account to do it

RadarDKMC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for the help

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You are welcome.

But just to add. Please remember that NOTHING can ever stop somebody who wants to pass something on. Even with sharing controls

RadarDKMC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, even with Dropbox Prof, an individual can share a link to a shared folder?  I understand the individual can download a file and share the file; I just don't want someone sharing the link to a folder.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You can set it so that they cannot share THAT ONE SPECIFIC folder.

But there is *nothing* to stop them copying the files to another folder and sharing a link to that.

RadarDKMC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I understand that; I am just trying to figure out the folder link security.  Do I need Prof to secure the folder or does Plus do it as well?  Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this out before I make any recommendations.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You need a Professional or Business account in order to set a password or expiration on a share link. Remember, in addition to what Mark has stated above, there's nothing stopping a person from sharing not only your link, but the password for that link as well.

As soon as you share something with someone else, you lose total control of it. That's nothing to do with Dropbox. It's just a fact of sharing, on any platform.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    RadarDKMC New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?