cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my public folder no longer working?

Dropbox Public Folder

Richard F.27
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I understand that the current sharing functionality of the Public folder will change on or about March 15, 2017; my question is: will the NAME of the Public folder change on or about March 15, or will it still be called Public?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It will still be called Public, however, all links within it will cease to work.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

FireMapper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I work in Public Safety with many different agencies. I have used the public folder to share files without much input from the user. A QR code was issued during an incident and daily maps were placed in this folder for the user to retrieve. Will this function still exist?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No.

Once the Public folder stops working (March for free users, September for paying) all links to it will fail.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Shame on you, Dropbox, for letting down your loyal paying base of users in such cavalier fashion.

Terry, UK

feale
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Really so bad news!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It will still be called Public, however, all links within it will cease to work.

chradra
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have problem. My public folder can not share to all people. Earth logo on folder disappear. I have to fix this?  // Thank you

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cant.

The Public folder has been depreciated for free users now: https://www.dropbox.com/help/16

gbm
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Deprecated?? It's the thousands of users of forums and other internet sites that are deprecating Dropbox when they try to look at a diagram like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54783344/pertronix%20mod%20with%20switchgear%20bypass.jpg

By the way:
In general English usage, the infinitive "to deprecate" means "to express disapproval of (something)". It derives from the Latin verb deprecare, meaning "to ward off (a disaster) by prayer". In current usage, for one to state that a feature is deprecated is merely a recommendation against using it.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Their use of the word applies because the Public folder was deprecated in October 2012 when Share Links replaced the functionality. From that point forward, new accounts no longer received  Public folder, and only Pro or Business accounts could still create one. The feature was deprecated.

As of March 15, 2017, the feature is no longer deprecated; it's simply gone for Basic users. It will be gone for Plus and Business users in September of this year.

Need more support?