cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Public folder

Dropbox Public Folder

Richard F.27
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I understand that the current sharing functionality of the Public folder will change on or about March 15, 2017; my question is: will the NAME of the Public folder change on or about March 15, or will it still be called Public?

31 Replies 31

Igor S.6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I was apalled to have the public folder taken out from under me. I had numerous important photos posted inside threads on many forums which I belong too. I was just about ready to subscribe to Dropbox for all my storage needs when I received notice they made this terrible decision. I decided against doing so because this set off an uncomfortable signal that the company is making irrational moves which to me questions their business longevity. 

<snip>

Bad move Dropbox because you lost my business. I've moved to OneDrive!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
If you had paid Igor you would still have the service - and thats exactly the issue. Too many people HAVENT paid to make the service viable.

Also, please note theres no need to be grotesque about it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Igor S.6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Mark,

There was nothing "grotesque" about my post that you censored as I substantiated it with a definition per Merriam Webster Dictionary beside it. 

You are wrong about a subscribing user having privileges because they are yanking that out from them also soon. I don't want to hear about some feel good 'shared link' substitute. 

My prediction is Dropbox is on it's way out. If it can't handle the freebies it gave out then it shouldn't have done so. Hopefully, you don't censor this too!

jigarme
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is a **bleep**ty situation, taken at the worst time Dropbox could. Thought of implications whoever made the decision? Onedrive suddenly got lot more business and they are probably still thinking why!

Southy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

I currently use the Public folder a lot for putting information in there so all can see, I link people to it so they can read this information....

I gather Public Folder is going off line as of Sept 2017....  What do I use instead?

Regards

Southy

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Southy wrote:

I gather Public Folder is going off line as of Sept 2017....  What do I use instead?

Share links replaced the Public folder functionality several years ago.

itztwin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi I just made this account and have a file of photos i want to make public. Ive heard free accounts cant do that anymore. I dont have the money to make a pro account so is there any other way i can make it public. i dont want to have to send these photos to the 100+ people that want to see these photos. please help. thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The Public Folder feature is being removed for all accounts, not just Basic/Free, but it is an old feature that was replaced long ago. The new method is to use a Share Link to the file or folder that you wish to share.

randy a.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i hate you!

put it back the way it was

grainnelando
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to make a folder public and apparently have to drag it to the Public folder in order  to do this. However, I can't see the Public folder. Where is it? I'm a Drobox Plus user so should still have the Public folder. Thanks

Need more support?