cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing starred files in shared folders

Seeing starred files in shared folders

nthms321
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So I recently took some images for someone and because we live in different cities I chose this platform to share the images. I shared the folder with her and had her star the portraits she liked. Problem is I can't see them. Is there a way for me to see the starred items?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Only way to do that would be to log into her account @nthms321 as the starred section is account specific (meaning that files you star will only show as starred on your end) and allows for quick access to the files, folders, and Paper docs that you need the most. As you probably know, there are three ways to star files and folders in Dropbox: 

• Click on the star next to the file name while you are previewing the file on the web.
  • Hover over the file in the web file browser and click on the star next to the file name.
  • Select the file by clicking the checkbox next to the file, then click "Star" on the right-hand side.

A good way for you to access those files now would be to have her comment and mention you on those since in that way you'll be notified of the comment itself and you'd be able to easily locate it.

Let me know if this helped please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Only way to do that would be to log into her account @nthms321 as the starred section is account specific (meaning that files you star will only show as starred on your end) and allows for quick access to the files, folders, and Paper docs that you need the most. As you probably know, there are three ways to star files and folders in Dropbox: 

• Click on the star next to the file name while you are previewing the file on the web.
  • Hover over the file in the web file browser and click on the star next to the file name.
  • Select the file by clicking the checkbox next to the file, then click "Star" on the right-hand side.

A good way for you to access those files now would be to have her comment and mention you on those since in that way you'll be notified of the comment itself and you'd be able to easily locate it.

Let me know if this helped please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Ifrit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That "solution" is lame.  What type of platform is this, when you cannot share something as simple as whether the person you are sharing to clicked a star.  I was trying to use dropbox for the exact same reason (that is, asking a person to star the photos they like).  Really pathetic.  No more innovation from Dropbox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you for your feedback on this one @Ifrit - much appreciated.

We work hard to make Dropbox the best it can be, and your feedback, either positive or negative, is important for helping us do that. I'll pass on your feedback to the appropriate engineering team to inform future updates to our website.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DavidSerranoDes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree.  That's a NON-solution.  Seems like a simple fix and yet it STILL hasn't been.

1jayfrogel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed - Lame and Crippled.  I've been a dropbox user for years but only so that other people can download my images.  Last month while in England I took images at a celebration and had my friends "star" images they wanted printable versions of.  But can I see which ones they starred?? Nooooo

jennab505-0
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter, I'm very disappointed in this as I have been using Dropbox for a long time and now I am learning this. It seems I am not the only one who finds this inadequate

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm completely sorry you feel this way @jennab505-0.

As mentioned, the 'Starred' section is account specific and others won't be able to access them from their end.

Could you let me know what you're trying to accomplish exactly to see if we could come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance and welcome to our Community Jenna!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jennab505-0
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I am considering using Dropbox for my photography business as I've had a smaller size allowance and have really valued the reliability of it. I starred photos I suggested to my clients for them to tell me which ones they like and I'm not receiving any responses. I've now learned they have to tag me in any comments for me to see them. That means they cannot see my suggested stars, or comments.

mcmiller
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This shouldn't even be an issue. An absolute fail on DB's part. It can't be that difficult to offer a tab within a folder that allows you to see which images are starred and by which team member. What exactly do Dropbox do with the money we pay?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    sjn1 New member | Level 2
    San Juan Studio New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    talkingfinger Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?