Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share link needs to download to directory specified by user

SOLVED
5 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted

Share link needs to download to directory specified by user

I set up a Shared link and created a shortcut for the link.

When my users open the web page, they can see the file, and have options to "download" and "download to dropbox". 

Is there anyway to let them specify the directory, instead of having it go to the  browser default download or the Dropbox root. In either case, they'll have to go "find" the file and "move" it to the appropriate directory. 

Or is there another way to do this? 

basically I want to give users a "link" to a file and have them download or save the file to the directory where they are working. Then they can edit the file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Share link needs to download to directory specified by user

First, you're talking about two completely separate processes, just to be clear.

The download function (which downloads the file to your computer) is completely browser controlled, and Dropbox can do nothing to alter how it works. The browser will control the location.

The Save to Dropbox function is controlled by Dropbox and has nothing to do with the browser. Saving to Dropbox will only save to the root of your Dropbox. There's no way to specify the folder.

5 Replies
Super User II

chrisodonnell wrote:

Is there anyway to let them specify the directory, instead of having it go to the  browser default download

No, there isn't. Download functions are handled by the browser, not the website serving the file. There's no way for a website to override the download location.

The user can sometimes set their browser to prompt for a location instead of automatically saving the file to Downloads, but again, this is a funciton of the browser and would rely on the user setting this ahead of time.

and "download to dropbox".

And to be clear, the Save to Dropbox option doesn't actually download the file through the browser. It automatically saves the file to the user's Dropbox account online (assuming they're logged in), at which point the file would be syned to their computer if they have Dropbox installed.

I understand that it doesn't really "download" to dropbox, that it's saved to their dropbox account. 

But it's saved to the "top" of their account folder. Would be nice if there was a way to SELECT the folder where they wanted the file saved in their dropbox account. Kind-of like tweaking the browser setting to ask before downloading.

Is that possible?

Solution
Super User II

First, you're talking about two completely separate processes, just to be clear.

The download function (which downloads the file to your computer) is completely browser controlled, and Dropbox can do nothing to alter how it works. The browser will control the location.

The Save to Dropbox function is controlled by Dropbox and has nothing to do with the browser. Saving to Dropbox will only save to the root of your Dropbox. There's no way to specify the folder.

When I send someone a link to a folder that they don't have access to, then the file opens, there's a "download" button with a down arrow.

Options are: Direct Download and Save to Dropbox.

So I can have the browser ask where to put the file if I use Direct Download.

Save to Dropbox put it on my root level of my dropbox.

Is there any way to have the "save to dropbox" ask where to save the file?

If I setup the link as a shortcut in a folder, when the person clicks on the link and their browser opens, I would like the "save to dropbox" to put the file in the same folder where the shortcut is. Or at least let them naviagate to this folder.

Super User II

I'm afraid as Rich said there is no way to do this.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible!