Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

10 Comments
15 Likes
Highlighted
Level 1

Shared files are opening instead of downloading

I'm using Dropbox with my team at work to share files such as Keynote presentations and PDFs. When they click the link I send, the dialogue box does not offer them the option to "Download," no matter the file type. The only choices available are "Share" or "Open." The "Open" enables whoever clicks on the link to modify the file in real-time and when saved those edits override the file in Dropbox. When I click on the link, the same appears for me.

Does anyone know why my files are no longer enabling users to Download? Thanks!!

10 Replies
Super User

Re: Shared files are opening instead of downloading

Hello, Jessica...

Other forum members have asked a similar question to yours... view: Josh's answer or Rich's response.

BLOG ARTICLE:

If you'd like to see for yourself that the download button is still available when it's necessary, take a look at my example folder.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

Level 1

I now get that Dropbox is rolling out a new feature where if a file is already on your computer, you won’t have to download another copy or create multiple versions; any edits you make will automatically sync back to the original file.

What if you don't want this enabled? I want my coworkers to access files to be used as templates – not go in an edit them.

Super User

What if you don't want this enabled?    

There is no reason to enable or disable because Dropbox knows whether or not that you have the most current file in your computer's Dropbox Folder.

Did you look at my example folder to see that the download option is there when it's needed?

I want my coworkers to access files to be used as templates – not go in an edit them.    

If you're sharing a COLLABORATIVE folder/files then you should make sure that you have view only permissions engaged, otherwise they can: add, edit or delete important folders/files.

You could share a folder/file LINK like I used for my example folder. It allows you to view and/or download (cannot edit or delete folders/files).

Level 1

Thank you for your helpful response and links. Unfortunately, I don't have the authority within my organization to change permissions, especially for a folder nestled in a shared folder. I think it's just having to find a workaround for the limitations of this new feature.

Level 1

Ha another "great" feature imposed on us regardless of what we want!

Super User

Thank you for your helpful response and links.    

You're quite welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't have the authority within my organization to change permissions,
especially for a folder nestled in a shared folder.    

Perhaps you could talk to the admin who has the authority.

• Let her/him know that it might be best to make that template folder into a parent folder with (zz.Example2 shown below).

• Especially if you don't want people to be able to edit or delete those important templates.
  • Once it becomes a parent folder then it could be shared with a folder/file LINK (view and download).

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

Good luck.

Level 1

Thanks for the troubleshooting efforts

Level 1

i am so frustrated with this 'feature' …until a couple days ago it seemed i had no problem and could always CHOOSE to download. but now I only see 'open' and when I go to where dropbox is telling me it doesn't offer 'download' 

that dropbox's reply to this thread is 'you shouldn't need to' presumes so much! I have many, many reasons why I 'need' to download and not just 'open' and have updated versions. I NEED EACH VERSION OF MY FILES…to view/hear as a chain!

Please Dropbox, explain to me how I can override the 'open and automatic update' feature and be a able to DOWNLOAD A FILE QUICKLY AND EASILY! 

Thank you. 

Level 1

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Sharing and collaboration.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post