cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a File With Someone Who Doesn't Have Dropbox Installed

Sharing a File With Someone Who Doesn't Have Dropbox Installed

Keke3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'd like to send a link to share a file with a customer without requiring them to login to Dropbox. Is that possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Keke3!

To invite multiple users to a folder or file, you’ll have to enter their email addresses separately. 

If they are getting prompted to sign it, could it be that you’re sending them a shared folder instead of sending them a shared link to the folder?

As @Rich also mentions, you can find more info about what a shared link is and how to create it here

Let us know of any updates! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes, it is. Just send them a share link to the file. A share link provides view and download access without requiring a Dropbox account.

Keke3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I sent a link but it is asking them to log into Dropbox. I believe it has to do with my folder arrangement. Do you need to invite each person to the folder? 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Keke3!

To invite multiple users to a folder or file, you’ll have to enter their email addresses separately. 

If they are getting prompted to sign it, could it be that you’re sending them a shared folder instead of sending them a shared link to the folder?

As @Rich also mentions, you can find more info about what a shared link is and how to create it here

Let us know of any updates! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Keke3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem, @Keke3. :wink: Let us know if you have any other questions and, in the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

lola8
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am trying to figure this out as well.  How does one send a link or share a folder with someone who does not have dropbox?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Have you tried any of the ways mentioned in this discussion @lola8

Specifically, shared links would be the way to go in your case. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jtavernor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
When I have shared a folder, does my family member need to create a personal account with Dropbox in order to view my shared folder. Can someone explain to me how my family are able to view? Thanks for your help

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jtavernor wrote:
When I have shared a folder, does my family member need to create a personal account with Dropbox in order to view my shared folder. Can someone explain to me how my family are able to view? Thanks for your help

If they only need to be able to view, you'll want to use a shared link with view-only access. If you actually invite them to  a shared folder or send a shared link with edit access, they'll need their own Dropbox account with enough storage to hold the folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JohnDeLange Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?