Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing files between different account types

SOLVED
10 Comments
8 Kudos
Level 4

Sharing files between different account types

Someone who has business acoount shared a file with me. I have personal account type and I can't see the share, I don't want to ask the someone share it again with her personal account and I don't want to upgrade to business account just for that. Is there a way to view the share from my personal account?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Super User II

Re: Sharing files between different account types

Hi Cagack,

The issue is still the same - the sender hasnt sent a shared link. They've simply copied and pasted the location of the file.

She needs to send you a correct share as per the link I sent (she can send just a shared file if needed)

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

10 Replies
New Super User

Hi cagcak,

Shares should work fine between business and personal Dropbox accounts.

Are you able to confirm if you received an email or notification stating that the person wants to share a file with you? They may have entered your email address incorrectly - that's the most likely problem here. If you've recieved no email or notification ask the sharer to confirm the email address and report your findings back here

Regards

Dan

Level 4

no I think she just click 'share with anyone with this link' option and then sent me the link.
New Super User

What happens when you click on the link?

If it says "404" then the link has been copied incorrectly

If it takes you to an apparently empty folder then she hasn't uploaded the files into the folder.

Super User II

As Dan said we cant really help without the error code - any chance of a screengrab?

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 4

Dan_W8 wrote:

What happens when you click on the link?

If it says "404" then the link has been copied incorrectly

If it takes you to an apparently empty folder then she hasn't uploaded the files into the folder.

The link (I added * characters for security issue) seems like: 

www.dropbox.com/work/10-personal%20folder/zero.chou/*******/201608_%E8%87%AA%E5%8B%95%E5%8C%96%E5%B1...

IMG: When I click the link I see the following: 

2017-09-22_20-35-53.png

TXT:  "You must have Dropbox Business account to access that page".

Super User II

The reason it isnt working is as Dan said - the link is wrong.

That isnt a link to a file, thats a link to the persons own files. All they've done is open the file and copy/paste the link to it. The only person, therefore, who will be able to see that is the person who owns the file.

You have no choice, I'm afraid, but to tell them they've sent the link wrongly and suggest they follow https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/start-sharing

Level 4

Mark wrote:
The reason it isnt working is as Dan said - the link is wrong.

That isnt a link to a file, thats a link to the persons own files. All they've done is open the file and copy/paste the link to it. The only person, therefore, who will be able to see that is the person who owns the file.

You have no choice, I'm afraid, but to tell them they've sent the link wrongly and suggest they follow https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/start-sharing

I am sorry but I couldn't share the link view properly in this text editor. I share it as image as follows:

2017-09-23_11-56-54.png

Based on the link, I don't think she shared a folder, must be a psd file. Thanks for support by the way, I really appreciated.

Highlighted
Solution
Super User II

Hi Cagack,

The issue is still the same - the sender hasnt sent a shared link. They've simply copied and pasted the location of the file.

She needs to send you a correct share as per the link I sent (she can send just a shared file if needed)

Level 2

NO this is ridiculous