Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing to accounts outside your company and permissions

4 Comments
0 Kudos
Level 2

Sharing to accounts outside your company and permissions

I will explain my question with a scenario: I am the owner of a folder and I share architect drawings with an architect for modifications. I will give him edit permission. Once we have finalised the design he shares it to interior decorator that works with the same software to start planning design. The designer in another company will therefore also have permission to edit. Now, as the owner of the shared folder is there any way I can prevent the interior designer to delete any files in the folder. For example, only to have editing permissions?

4 Replies
New Super User

Re: Sharing to accounts outside your company and permissions

NaomiG

Thats a pretty good question but sadly, once you give permission to edit, that means they have rights to delete/modify the files.  It just means that you would have to convey to other sharers your wants/concerns.

Good Dropboxing.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/folder-permissions-roles

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Kudo would be super.  Thanks!

Level 2

It would be beneficial if there could be a permission function such as edit but can't delete. Following on from this question using the same scenario; if the interior designer permanently deletes a file on their Dropbox,  will it be permanently deleted in your folder (can you still restore the file?)?

New Super User

Yes, that would be ideal.  but to answer your question, if anyone permanently deletes the files, the file would not be available for anyone. Since the file is deleted from Servers so there would be no way to retrieve it.  If I understand that is what you meant deleting permanently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Kudo would be super.  Thanks!

Dropboxer

NaomiG wrote:

It would be beneficial if there could be a permission function such as edit but can't delete. Following on from this question using the same scenario; if the interior designer permanently deletes a file on their Dropbox,  will it be permanently deleted in your folder (can you still restore the file?)?

Thanks for the feedback, however I 'd like to add that "Editing" and "Deleting" is pretty much the same thing. For example, one may not be able to delete the entire file, but if they had editing rights to it, they would still be able to delete the entire content of the document.

It is indeed though a very interesting suggestion - blocking the ability to delete files from shared folders!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question?---> Accept as Solution White check mark nerd face
Kudos are always welcome! Bacon