cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing a shared Dropbox folder in the Finder

Showing a shared Dropbox folder in the Finder

skamioka
New member | Level 2

The folder I shared with myself does not show in Finder. I have an access only within the browser. 

I use two computers. I created a folder in Computer 1 and now I want to access to the folder from Computer 2. From Computer 1, I control-clicked the folder, selected "share," and emailed a sharing request to my email address. From Computer 2, I opened up the email and clinked "Go to Folder." The folder shows up within the browser, but not in Finder. How can I set up so that I can access to the folder from Computer 2? Computer 1 is MacOS Sierra 10.12 and Computer 2 is El Captian 10.11. 

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, are you sharing it to a different email address to your own Dropbox account? If you’re using the same Dropbox account on both machines, there isn’t any need to create a shared folder.

If it is the same account, could you check that the Dropbox desktop application is running and syncing correctly on the second computer?

Is the folder visible on the Dropbox site?

Any details you have would help!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

skamioka1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, 

Thank you for your reply. I go back and forth between my personal gmail account and work gmail account. Since I wasn't sure which gmail account my Dropbox is associated with, I checked it by going to dropbox from a browser and went to Setting and Personal Account. In there, it seems that my Dropbox acccount is associated with my work gmail account. However, your email notificaiton about this posting was sent to my personal gmail account. I am confused. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
This means that the forum profile is signed into your personal account, which would be the same as your Dropbox account.

As you have a work account too, which one is signed into the first computer, and the second computer? Are you sharing files from the work to personal, or vice versa? Which account isn’t seeing the shared folder?

Could you check to see if you can add the folder from the Dropbox site on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

skamioka1
Explorer | Level 3

I'm logged in to Dropbox from my work account on both computers. And, I am trying to share this folder from work to work (Computer 1 to Computer 2). 

I tried sharing from the link you provided. My situation remains the same. I can only see the file within the browser in Computer 2 and not in Finder. (I can see the folder both in my browser and in Finder in Computer 1) 

I just discovered one thing: the folder has "Only you" indication under Members in My Files. I clicked on the three dots next to the folder and selected "share." The strange thing is that when I try to type my work email address, it says "improper contact." Any ideas? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
You won’t need to share the folder, since it is the same account. It should be syncing normally, unless the Dropbox desktop application isn’t actively syncing.

Can you see the Dropbox icon in the menu bar near the clock? Does it have a blue icon on it? Do the files in the Dropbox folder in Finder on computer 2 have green ticks?

If there are no icons, the desktop app might not be running. Try running it from the Application menu.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

skamioka1
Explorer | Level 3

The original problem has not been solved. So I did a test as follows:

I created a new folder in Computer 2 (going reverse this time, from Compute 2 to Computer 2). It does not show up in my Computer 1 automatically even though I am logged into Dropbox using my work gmail account on both computers. So, I shared the folder, opened it up in Computer 1 and now it shows up in Finder.  

Thanks for your advice. My original problem remains as a mistery to me, but I think I can live with it. Have a great day!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
No worries, glad to hear you were able to find a solution on your own!

Let me know if you experience any further issues.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    skamioka1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?